This position is responsible for the consistent production of meals in the restaurant(s) or event(s) within the community including actual cooking and handling food product. Supports the Executive Chef in the management of the entire kitchen operation including the oversight of the consistent preparation and prompt delivery of quality food to ensure pleasurable dining experiences to residents, family members, guests, and employees. Creates meaningful moments in the lives of residents, visitors, and employees by demonstrating EMI (eliminating my impossibilities) behaviors.
- Ensures the consistent preparation and timely delivery of quality food to residents, guests, family members and employees, through adherence to daily forecasting, scheduling, standard recipes and production planning.
- Ensures adherence to safe food handling, proper personal hygiene, and sanitation procedures per local, national and organizational standards.
- Participates and monitors all food preparation timing and temperature procedures in accordance with Health Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) guidelines.
- Monitors food production to minimize waste and over production.
- Ensures consistent adherence to recipes, tracking additions and changes as necessary.
- Supports the Executive Chef in providing on-going management, coaching, mentoring and training of culinary experience center employees including the safe operations of kitchen equipment, accomplishment of the daily food production plan, and correct performance of opening and closing sanitation side work.
About Mather Place:
Mather Place is an independent living rental community for those age 62 and better located in the heart of Chicago’s North Shore in Wilmette, Illinois, a short walk from Old Orchard shopping center. Mather Place includes 179 independent living apartment homes, as well as two restaurants, a fitness center, art studio, library, and more.
Mather Place is located at 2801 Old Glenview Road in Wilmette.
What We Offer:
Mather offers a benefits package* that goes above and beyond.
All employees are eligible for:
- Generous paid-time off (PTO) program including vacation days, sick days, personal days, and holidays. Earn-as-you-go plan that rolls over year to year, offering flexibility
- 401(k) program with strong employer match and annual contribution (Age 21 or better)
- Convenient subsidized parking or public transportation for certain locations
- Learning to Age Well Program – employees can be reimbursed up to $130 per year for completion of classes such as music lessons, yoga, or foreign language classes
Benefits-eligible employees can take advantage of:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Extended illness benefits
- Tuition reimbursement promoting lifelong learning
- Employee wellness programs, including free annual wellness screening
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance – 100% coverage by Mather
*Benefits are subject to change without notice. Benefits details dependent on employment status.
Expectations of Mather Employees:
- The ability to work well in a team environment
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships with residents, customers, and coworkers
- The ability to learn new tasks and information and apply to serving others
- A commitment to delivering on responsibilities
- Reliability, professionalism, and a strong work ethic
Based in Evanston, Illinois, Mather is a unique, non-denominational not-for-profit organization founded in 1941. Dedicated to developing and implementing Ways to Age Well, we create programs, places, and residences for today’s young-at-heart older adults. These include senior living residences (The Mather, Mather Place, and Splendido); a variety of community-based initiatives; and Mather Institute on Aging, a resource for research and information about aging, trends and innovations in aging services, and more.
Mather values employees and is serious about supporting their health and professional development. We’ve been named one of “Chicago’s Top Workplaces” by the Chicago Tribune for four years in a row and have been recognized as Illinois’ Healthiest Midsize Employer.
Mather is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If this sounds like you, then please apply for this position. When applying, please include all work history. List your employers, starting with the most current/recent, including self-employment. Please do not state “Refer to resume.”
5 years: working experience preparing a variety of quality foods in varying quantities, advances knowledge, training, understanding of classic and current cooking methods, current health, nutritional and dietary knowledge based on the United States Dietary Guidelines