We’re leading the way in nursing excellence—and you can join us.
Our 10 week-long, paid externship, is held from late May through early August and is designed to enhance your academic experience as an undergraduate Baccalaureate Nursing Student. Positions are offered in all specialty areas, from Pediatrics to Critical Care, depending on availability. Throughout the summer, Nurse Technicians will get hands on experience providing direct patient care in a patient care tech role, participate in Educational Sessions, and take part in Shadow Days. This program is an exceptional opportunity for you to strengthen your nursing skills, build your confidence and gain exposure to different nursing specialties in an academic, acute care setting.
Learn from the best.
MedStar Georgetown was the first hospital in the nation’s capital to be granted Magnet® status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center—an honor given to fewer than eight percent of hospitals across the country.
What does our Magnet® status mean for you? Our nurses rate their job satisfaction and sense of professional empowerment more highly than those at non-Magnet® hospitals. This is an opportunity to join a workplace recognized for our positive work environment, clinical excellence, and many professional development opportunities.
In order to participate in this program, you must:
-Be currently enrolled in a BSN Program
– Have at least a 3.2 (out of 4.0) current, cumulative GPA
– Be available for full-time summer employment and rotating shifts (weekend/nights/holidays included)
– Have completed a Med/Surg Clinical Rotation in a hospital setting by Spring 2022; limited positions will be available for Sophomore students who have not completed a med/surg rotation
Interested? Submit your online application by December 10, 2021.
Within two weeks of submitting your online application, you will receive an email requesting further information. You will be asked to submit additional information including your patient population/unit(s) of interest, as well as the following documentation:
– Official transcript (showing cumulative GPA: >3.2)
-Two clinical faculty reference letters on official university letterhead or on the form we will provide in the emai
-Employer reference (if you have worked as a Nurse Technician/Extern/CNA/Care Partner)
- Get more details. https://www.medstarhealth.org/for-healthcare-professionals/nursing/medstar-georgetown-university-hospital/student-nurse-externships
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C.
Our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis, or caring for the whole person, we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart—and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.
General Summary of Position:
Provides patient care to an assigned group of patients, according to an established plan of care, under the direction and supervision of a nurse. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Enrollment in an accredited Baccalaureate or higher School of Nursing.
LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: BLS required.
EXPERIENCE: BSN student who has completed the sophomore year and has at least one semester of
clinical experience. Previous experience as a nursing assistant desired. Satisfactory references from the school of nursing the student is attending.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform direct patient care technologies; effective verbal, electronic and written communication skills; Good interpersonal skills; Ability to set priorities and work in a stressful environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements patients’ plan of care as directed by the nurse, reporting information and findings to the nurse, and offering suggestions for revision of the plan of care as appropriate.
- Provides direct bedside care to patients as assigned, inclusive of but not limited to: performs the activities of daily living, bathing, skin care, toileting, mouth care, feeding, and range of motion; assisting with ambulation, mobilization and rehabilitation; assistance with crutches and walkers; and transporting of patients in wheelchairs and stretchers.
- Performs routine sterile and non-sterile treatments and other treatments identified by Unit/Hospital policy inclusive of but not limited to: ostomy care; Foley Catheter care; peripheral IV insertion/care; venipuncture; EKG; simple dressing changes and wound care; maintenance of drainage tubes with/without pump or suction; point of care testing; care of oxygen equipment; and assistance with the application, maintenance and removal of traction, casts, splints and exercise equipment.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.