KEY DATES AND INFORMATION:
- Applications Open on October 1, 2021
- Eligible applicants are students returning to their undergraduate studies in the fall of 2022 who are passionate about working with children and potentially interested in teaching after graduation. No education major required. See more below
- Visit our MTR Camp Info & Application page
- Application Deadline: Friday, January 15, 2022- 11:59pm
MTR Camp is a paid summer internship for college students passionate about equal education. The program is designed to provide academic enrichment within a summer camp experience for students who attend an MTR partner elementary school. Interns will gain experience in under-resourced neighborhoods in Memphis and get exposure to MTR’s residency program. Interns will also live together in campus housing, explore Memphis, and receive training in effective instructional techniques.
MTR Camp summer internship distinctives:
- Gain real-world teaching experience as an educator in training—open to both education majors and non-education majors who are interested in teaching after graduation
- Exposure to MTR’s Residency program, a chance to learn more about doing the MTR residency after college graduation
- Engage in conversations across racial lines, in deep community, concentrated within a historical and biblical context.
- Stipend and housing provided
- Literacy-focused summer camp: gain experience helping students learn to read
Minimum requirements for acceptance to MTR Camp:
- An undergraduate student enrolled in a four-year college/university with at least two years completed and not graduating until after summer 2022 (must be current sophomore or junior to apply)
- High energy, teachable individuals who are interested in teaching in an under-resourced environment
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- GPA: 2.75 or above
Complete an online application that requires a resume, references, and a brief essay – before Jan. 15.
Tracey Jernigan – Recruiter/MTR Camp Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
More About Memphis Teacher Residency
Memphis Teacher Residency (MTR) recruits, trains, and supports effective teachers in a Christian context. MTR believes educational inequality is among the greatest social justice and civil rights issues of today. MTR offers 3 ways to get involved in the work of Equal Education: 1 job for college seniors and alumni and 2 paid summer internships for current college students.
Residency: For college graduates, we offer a 1-year residency program where residents teach with a mentor teacher (Mon-Ths), receive weekly coaching, and participate in Master of Urban Education coursework through Union University (Fri-Sat, 100% paid for by MTR). After the residency year, 3 years of teaching in an under-resourced partner neighborhood in Memphis are required. Coaching and additional support services are continued throughout the next 3 years. Learn more about the teacher residency at MemphisTR.org/residency
MTR Camp: For college students returning to school in the fall, MTR Camp is a 3.5-week paid internship to get a taste for working towards equal education with elementary-aged students in Memphis. Learn more at MTRCamp.org.
Marjorie Lee Browne STEM Fellowship: For college students of color with a STEM major or minor who will be returning to school in the fall, the Marjorie Lee Browne STEM Fellowship involves serving as a paid counselor and TA at a STEM Discovery camp for rising 7th graders in Memphis, TN for 4 weeks. Learn more at MemphisTR.org/Browne-STEM-Fellowship.
MTR has been training teacher residents to serve students in under-resourced neighborhoods of Memphis, TN since 2009. Learn more about our program results at MemphisTR.org/results
Christian Love Expressed in Equal Education
As a response to the gospel mandate to love our neighbors as ourselves, MTR will partner to provide students in Memphis neighborhoods with the same, or better, quality of education as is available to any student in Memphis by recruiting, training, and supporting effective teachers within a Christian context.
Restored Communities Living with Dignity and in Peace
The vision of MTR is to use our specific work within education, in partnership with other holistic organizations, to help restore communities so that all individuals can become empowered contributors to our city and people of all races and classes can engage with one another in peace.