Full Job Description
Pre-Construction Division of METCON Construction is looking for an enthusiastic & open-minded individual to join their ranks as a Project Engineer Intern. This person would work directly with the Estimator and Project Manager to assist in the full cycle of bidding & managing local construction projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Assisting with Bidding:
- Reviewing pricing requests from local clients, including any accompanying documentation such as construction drawings or specifications, as necessary to generate competitive bids for the scopes of work.
- Attending construction job walks to ascertain site conditions & determine what is required to perform the proposed scope(s).
- Creating spreadsheets based on these quantities to figure the material & labor costs associated with what is being proposed.
- Creating proposals to convey what is being included in our bids & qualify how the work will be done in the field.
- Following up on opportunities after the bids have been provided, keeping in touch with clients to ensure that we have fulfilled their requests & are being awarded at least part of their work.
- Adjusting future bidding practices using this client feedback to secure more work going forward.
Assisting with Project Management:
- Creating submittal packets for materials included in upcoming projects that have been awarded.
- Assisting with procuring materials once submittals have been approved by the Architect.
- Creating ‘field folders’ for field personnel to use onsite, including information regarding what was bid, how many hours were figured, which materials are required onsite, etc.
- Reviewing requests for additional work at awarded projects & determining the extra labor/material necessary to address these items.
- Attending site walks with field personnel to address issues that may arise once a job is in progress.
Bachelor’s Degree in any related field and/or prior experience with construction is beneficial but not required. Mandatory, minimum qualifications include:
- Computer literacy: must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel & Word primarily); experience with Google Drive & other collaborative software is a plus.
· Willingness to read through an immense amount of construction documents in either digital or physical form, as well as the ability to reference these types of documents & organize them in a way that is useful for both Estimating & Project Management.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Organization & time management skills are required, as you will be juggling several bids & ongoing projects at any given time.
Primary office in Pleasanton, CA. Training to occur in-person. This position will require the in-person attendance of job walks in various locations throughout the Bay Area, as well as delivery of documents/samples to clients & contractors at either job sites or their offices (company car provided for transportation during work hours).
Job Type: Full Time Intern
- Monday to Friday, 40 Hours per week
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- 1+ Year in Construction (Preferred)
- Headquarters office in Pleasanton, CA US