MIG, Inc. is a national firm specializing in planning, design, communications, management, science, and technology. We believe that the environment around us has a profound impact on our lives and our shared vision: is of a world where people, communities, and ecosystems thrive. For 40 years, MIG has engaged the talents and vitality of top professionals who plan, design, and sustain environments that support human development. Our team members are passionate about their work and share a common desire to engage closely with our clients and the communities impacted by our work.
We are seeking an entry- to mid-level urban planning Project Associate to join our diverse team in our Portland or Seattle offices. Remote work opportunities are available, but ideally you are located in the Portland or Seattle area. MIG’s offices are currently closed due to COVID, and all staff are working remotely. This position will need to be in-person with some potential for occasional remote work when we eventually re-open. Proof of vaccination is required at MIG for future in-person work.
Responsibilities – What You’ll Accomplish
- Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates designs and plans for communities of all size across the U.S., as well as higher education institutions and campuses and development projects for both public and private sector clients.
- Project Work: You will support a team of planners, designers, and Project Managers in all aspects of project design and implementation, including meeting facilitation, research, writing, development of materials, meeting support, content analysis, administration and client interaction. In addition, opportunities for you to work on-site at public agencies or at MIG offices to facilitate development entitlements and to implement planning programs and capital projects.
- Project Types: The projects you will typically work on will include downtown, corridor, and/or specific and current plans, parks and recreation system plans, zoning codes and design standards, staff planning for public agencies, historic preservation, public engagement support, including online tools.
This is a full-time, hourly position. MIG works on projects nationwide; some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement meetings or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible.
Experience and Qualifications for Success – What We’d Like to See
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban design/planning or a related field. (A Master’s degree in a complementary field is a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience in planning, urban design, policy, community engagement or a closely related field is preferred.
- Ability to produce high-quality work products, including but not limited to meeting or research summaries; planning document and poster board layouts; and mapping.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal communication.
- Ability to speak easily and clearly in front of groups and can participate in small and large group discussions.
- You are an adaptable teammate who is willing to pitch in and help others.
- Software proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in GIS, and/or SketchUp is a plus.
- As a plus, you are bilingual with Spanish or Vietnamese language skills.
How to Apply
If this position sounds like a fit for your skillsets and you are passionate about creating and improving communities, we would love to hear from you! Please email your resume, portfolio, and a cover letter as PDFs to email@example.com.
MIG values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Our teams enjoy a flexible work schedule, a rewarding work environment, and a creative atmosphere that allows for professional development and career advancement opportunities while promoting team spirit and genuine camaraderie. We offer a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, FSA, and HRA with employer contributions and 401K matching. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Candidates may be required to take a skills assessment in planning, conducting presentations, and/or budget and scope drafting.