MKS Instruments is a global provider of instruments, subsystems and process control solutions that measure, monitor, deliver, analyze, power and control critical parameters of advanced manufacturing processes to improve process performance and productivity for our customers. Additional information can be found at www.mksinst.com.
As MKS is a federal contractor, you must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and show proof of same by start date as conditions of employment, except where an exemption (due to a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that prevents you from receiving the vaccine) has been approved by MKS.
Are you naturally curious? So are we at MKS. Our collective curiosity drives us to be an innovation leader in many industries. Our products drive technology advancements across a wide range of applications such as 5G, augmented/virtual reality, autonomous vehicles, clean drinking water and space exploration. We are a team of collaborators who value fresh thinking and believe in mutual respect, constructive candor, diversity and inclusion. As a valued and trusted partner to our customers, we are continually pushing the boundaries of possibility. We believe in creating technology that transforms our world and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our team. If this is appealing to you, we want to meet you.
We are looking for an exceptional Plasma Scientist Intern who can provide technical support in the analysis, design, and testing of advanced breakthrough technologies in the areas of remote plasma sources, reactive gas generators, flow and pressure measurement. The person must be able to work independently with limited supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic, highly technical environment and work on multiple concurrent cross-functional projects. A successful candidate must be highly self-motivated and hands-on with a can-do mentality. Excellent understanding of chemistry and applied physics, with an emphasis on RF plasma systems and vacuum technology as well as exposure to fluid dynamics, applied electrodynamics, numerical analysis techniques, and laboratory experimental methods are highly desirable.
In this job role, you will:
- Work with senior scientists to characterize the performance and behavior of various plasma sources for a variety of manufacturing and industrial applications.
- Be introduced to the processes and then help to provide technical insight and support related to these tasks.
- Design and set up test benches, perform experiments, collect and analyze data to achieve project objectives with an emphasis on plasma-materials interaction, product characterization, and reliability tests.
- Interface with product engineering and cross-functional teams as required.
What will you bring to the team, along with your curiosity is:
- Pursuing a PhD or Master’s degree in a technical field (Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, or related fields) and be available for employment in the following year (2023).
- Some experience with lab work related to the area of your technical focus.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments and analyze data.
- Basic understanding of plasma chemistry/physics, materials chemistry, materials processing, thin film and coating principles. Strong analytical capability is a must.
- The ability to work up to 40 hours per week.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MATLAB desirable.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.