At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
The Applied Research Scientist will work directly with Drs. Heather Jim, Laura Oswald, and Brian Gonzalez, faculty members in the Department of Health Outcomes and Behavior at Moffitt Cancer Center. Drs. Jim, Oswald, and Gonzalez conduct observational and interventional research to improve quality of life in cancer patients and cancer survivors. Projects often involve multiple modes of data collection and intervention delivery, including patient-reported outcomes, objective measurement, biospecimens, and digital technologies.
The Applied Research Scientist will be responsible for helping to manage ongoing research projects and develop new projects at Moffitt Cancer Center. This non-tenure track position will have ample opportunities for authorship of peer-reviewed publications and other career-enhancing activities, such as conferences, workshops, lectures and seminars to develop and maintain research skills.
- Develops and initiates protocols and oversees day-to-day activities of multiple studies
- Independently conducts statistical analyses for research studies
- Writes and prepares reports, abstracts, and manuscripts for a variety of research studies
- Supervises trainees and staff and serves as a resource to other lab members
- Generates scientific and budgetary sections of grant applications with guidance
The Ideal Candidate:
- A Ph.D. in psychology, epidemiology, public health, or a closely aligned field
- Has research experience in the academic and/or clinical setting, preferably in oncology
- Has database management experience
- Demonstrates statistical programming experience, including proficiency in R and/or SAS
- Is a critical, independent, and creative thinker
- Is professional, personable, organized, conscientious, and works well as a member of a team
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills
- Manuscript writing and grant writing experience is required
- Work closely with the principal investigators and collaborators to perform research and related support activities including (a) development, implementation, and management of research projects; (b) preparation of drafts of regulatory protocols and progress reports, manuscripts, budgets, and grant applications and (c) presentation of research at scientific meetings
- Assist with overseeing the work of study staff and trainees
- Data management and preliminary statistical analysis
- Maintain memberships and regularly attend appropriate professional associations, conferences, workshops, lectures, and seminars as supported by the overseeing investigators
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Minimum of an M.D. or Ph.D. (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to epidemiology, biostatistics, psychology, math, internal medicine, machine learning or related field.
- Postdoctoral experience preferred, but not required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.