Department Summary & Job Purpose:
● Responsible for all related daily front desk functions ensuring guests needs are met and they have a pleasant experience staying on campus.
● This position reports directly to the Front Desk Supervisor. In addition, reports to the Director, Assistant Directors and Catering Manager.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Opening and closing shifts, including the opening and closing of the building and respective paperwork and report distribution as each shift requires.
- Answering the telephone and emails
- Reserving and cancelling guest reservations, including input of data accurately, for overnight guest rooms and generating confirmation letters. Requires confidential use of credit card numbers.
- Checking guests in and out of guest rooms
- Assisting all of the Center’s guests navigating campus and other guest questions and needs
- Responsible for cash and credit card charges as needed
- Opening Shift will be responsible for maintaining continental breakfast site for overnight guests
- Filing as needed
- Campus room reservation approval using EMS WebApp
- Project work and other administrative duties as assigned
● Must have good communication skills, both written and orally, with a sound understanding of the English language.
● Must have general knowledge of hotel operations and cash and credit card handling.
● Must be able to work independently.
● Must be able to multitask and work in a distracting environment.
● Willingness to participate in additional training as needed, including but not limited to TIPS certification and ServSafe class to obtain Food Protection Manager Certification.
● Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude in dealing with students and the public.
● Must be cooperative and willing to work with others.
● Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
● Must be neat in appearance and work habits, and must comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed by law.
● Must comply with proper dress code as designated by the Department.
Physical Demands: Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Involves sitting most of the time with regular getting up and standing to greet and assist guests over the counter. Will need to be able to lift some platers and coffee/water dispensers during morning shifts to set up small continental breakfast offered to hotel guests.
Working Conditions: Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
• Sufficient clarity of speech required includes those which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Employee speaks with students and other faculty daily by telephone, e-mail, or in person on a
Employee operates office equipment and computers to perform essential duties and
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.