New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Tasks include, but not limited to:
In support of the Public Engagement Section, will perform the following duties as a member of the Universe Public Engagement team:
- Assist with the creation of mission or thematic products such as the coordination of development of artwork, writing of copy, etc.
- As needed, assist with events and product dissemination (may include packing and shipping of materials, printing and storing of physical products, assist with inventory and maintenance of storage).
- Uploads information to websites and contributes to posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms
- Work with Universe Public Engagement team to brainstorm new content or product ideas or messaging campaigns.
- Assist with stakeholder engagement and maintaining customer relationships.
- Researches industry best practices and provides ongoing improvements to public engagement programs and products.
- Attends project meetings regularly and reports out on efforts and/or communications news.
- Assist with the collection of metrics and other reporting information, assist with development of various reports. Communicate regularly with all stakeholders including weekly significant events, monthly reports and annual reviews including gathering metrics and reporting on project milestones, program impacts and makes informed suggestions for improvements.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at typically a local accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s in Strategic Communications, Communications, Public Relations, English, Marketing, or major related to work assignment
- Must be available to work a 20-30 hours per week while in school
- Must have at least 1 semester or quarter remaining to complete degree
- Minimum cumulative GPA 3.0 out of 4.0 or equivalent
- Recently completed coursework providing an understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Communications or related.
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively; ability to break down projects into smaller tasks and communicate updates to team members
- Punctual, detail oriented, resourceful and a self-motivated individual.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Awareness of best social media practices; plus if has experience developing and implementing social media campaigns.
- Experience with communication best practices.
- Experience or working familiarity with crafting and producing online multimedia products, including video, imagery, audio and graphics.
- Comfortable working in technical environments and interacting with scientists and engineers to translate their work to publicly-accessible content.
- A passion to learn; knowledge of astronomy and exoplanet science is considered a plus.
- A combination of creativity and strong organizational abilities.
- Photoshop familiarity. Ability to use style guides to create new web based graphics.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.