Individual will work under the mentorship of the Regional Youth and Volunteer Program Manager, who is located in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. The intern is not expected to relocate and can work remotely. They must expect to work full time because the position is grant funded and must work full time for 12 weeks to meet the requirements of the grant. We hope the person can start on September 27 but can flex back a couple of weeks so the individual should expect to work 12 weeks from the start date.
Stewards Individual Placements Program, a program of Conservation Legacy, will handle the compensation of the intern, who will create tools to help communications staff, including interpreters, to create materials and media that comply with Section 508.
Position Responsibilities will include:
· Prepare a catalogue of organizations or agencies that parks and programs in the Southeast Region can work with to conduct accessibility surveys and reviews with a goal of providing access to all wherever feasible within the constraints of natural and cultural resources
· Coordinate with supervisor and facilities to create a list of designated accessibility coordinators in each park or program
· Research online or through personal experience organizations and agencies specializing in supporting individuals who are differently abled to produce a directory or catalog for park and program use in conducting surveys of facilities, programs, and activities with a goal of making improvements or corrections as able or to prepare funding or grant requests to correct or improve
· Work with subject matter experts internal and external to the agency to offer new solutions to access for recreation, education, or daily duties with a goal of improving access for all visitors, volunteers, and employees
· Produce written, audio, and/or video tools to help NPS staff create or convert documents, presentations, and other products to conform with Section 508
· Provide training to NPS staff or volunteers via Microsoft Teams or similar platform on use of tools
· Prepare a follow up task list for future efforts to improve or expand training inaccessibility for interpreters, educators, and volunteer managers
· 18-30 years of age
· US citizen or legal resident
· Experience in Microsoft Office 365 and Adobe Creative Suite
· Experience preparing and conducting virtual training to an adult audience
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Able to work independently
· Spanish Language skills are beneficial
· Experience creating engaging video content
· Experience using social media
Benefits: Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $1,678.57 (pre-tax).
Living Allowance: $580/week (pre-tax)
Specialized training in: Communication skills training, subject matter training, site orientation, and safety training