NSA’s Summer Internship – Mathematics is a high competitive program that seeks to reach the nation’s most outstanding mathematics majors. Each summer, we invite exceptional students to put their skills to the test solving problems in mathematics, cryptology, communications technology, statistics, and data science in support of the national security mission. This program offers students the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge in the stimulating professional environment of one of the most advanced intelligence agencies in the world. These problems involve applications of abstract algebra, geometry, number theory, analysis, probability, statistics, combinatorics, graph theory and algorithms. State of the art computing resources are available, as well as computational software packages, such as Python, R, Sage, Magma, MATLAB and MAPLE, in addition to a variety of statistics packages.
If you are familiar with NSA’s individual internal programs, please apply to this advertisement if you are interested in the following internships:
– Director’s Summer Program (DSP) / Cryptanalysis and Signals Analysis Summer Program (CASASP)
– Graduate Math Program (GMP)
– Science of Security (SoS) Summer Program
– Summer Program for Operations Research Technology (SPORT)
– Cyber Summer Program (CSP)
– Data Center Facilities Management (DCFM) Intern Program
– Signals Intelligence Collection Program (SICP)
– NSA Colorado Summer Intern Program
– NSA Texas Summer Intern Program
– NSA Hawaii Technical Intern Program
– NSA Georgia Summer Intern Program
– Human Resources Intern Program (HR) – Data Analytics Division
– Business Management & Acquisition Summer Internship (BM&A)
While the majority of positions available are at Ft. Meade, MD, we have available positions at our other U.S. sites: Hawaii, Colorado, Texas & Georgia. Please indicate in your online application if you are interested in any of these field sites.
NSA is actively seeking mathematicians to join a vibrant community of mathematicians, statisticians, computer scientists, and other intelligence professionals to collaborate in both long and short term work to solve mission-critical problems. To solve the problems generated by NSA’s mission, mathematicians draw from a wide body of mathematical knowledge, including number theory, abstract algebra, graph theory, combinatorics, analysis, probability, statistics and more. However, the essential ingredient to the solution of a problem is often not mathematical knowledge per se, but the keen analytic ability that a mathematician possesses through training and talent.
To be accepted into the NSA Summer Internship – Mathematics, candidates must:
– Be a U.S. citizen;
– Be eligible to be granted a TS/SCI/TK security clearance after successfully completing a background investigation that includes passing a Full-Scope Polygraph and a Psychological Evaluation;
– Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for all college work completed;
– Be a currently enrolled college student (undergraduate, graduate or doctorate program) at time of application. Those entering their final year of a degree program cannot be considered unless they are immediately entering graduate school in the Fall of 2022;
– Be available and in the U.S. for operational and technical interviews and other applicable processing, both in-person and via telephone/internet, between the months of November 2021 and March 2022;
– Be pursuing a major in Mathematics or closely related field (data science, statistics, etc.)
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
– Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
– Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays.
– Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs.
– Students who attend school in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket. Travel reimbursement will not be provided to our location in Hawaii.
– Daily transportation to and from work is NOT provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available, but is NOT guaranteed.
– Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA’s main HQs campus. Housing accommodations are NOT provided for any of our field sites.
How to apply
***IMPORTANT: If you are interested in a specific internal program listed above, please indicate the name of the program(s) within the `Other Professional Details’ or `Cover Letter’ section of your profile.
***PLEASE NOTE: To be considered for our summer internships, your application package is not considered complete until the following items have been emailed to email@example.com in addition to your online application.
– Official transcript (unofficial will be accepted if legible)
– At least two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty members or supervisors who can speak directly to your educational background
– PDF copy of your current resume
– Cover Letter (Optional) listing your interest in NSAs summer internships
CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have any questions about NSA Summer Internships, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 410-854-4726.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.