NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
POSTING #: 21-00223
TITLE: Geographic Information Systems Specialist 3
ISSUE DATE: 10/7/2021
TITLE CODE: 03208
CLOSING DATE: 10/28/2021
DIVISION: Information Technology
UNIT: Information Management & Technology Planning
WORK WEEK: 40 hours
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) is seeking applications for
candidates for the position of Geographic Information System Specialist 3 (GIS1)
in the Division of Information Technology, Information Management & Technology
Planning, Geographic Information System Unit. GIS3 are assigned a 40 – hour work week.
Current starting salary is between $58,354 and $66,466 based on experience. As a NJ
State Department, NJDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health Care
(medical, prescription drug, dental and vision care), Pension, Deferred Compensation, 12
paid holidays, and Benefit Leave (12 vacation days, 15 sick days and 3 administrative
days). Standard workweek is Monday through Friday.
The Bureau of Information Management Technology Planning (IMTP) is responsible for
planning and coordinating the development of department data resources in a manner
that avoids duplication and promotes easy and open access to data throughout the
department. IMTP is comprised of three units, Geographic Information System (GIS),
Business Intelligence/Business Objects (BO) and the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW).
The GIS Unit provides support for the development of Geographic Information
Services designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage and present spatial or
geographic data. This data comes from many source systems, such as accidents,
construction, road inventories, pavements, demographics and open space used to
produce maps & services that support the Department’s work in planning, highway, rail,
aviation and maritime.
GISS3 will be a motivated detail orientated professional to support the team in GIS development and analysis. Under supervision, the Specialist performs professional GIS work relating to the geographic analysis of multi – modal/transportation data sets and/or other factors such as, but not limited to:
• Performing geographic data digitizing
• Use image interpretation and application of imagery data
• Support NJDOT’s various management systems, deriving spatial data from remotely sensed data, image/raster data analysis, LIDAR
• Operate all computer hardware and software associated with the GIS
• Assist all training and department user support
• Proficient in ESRI ArcGIS 10.x software for editing, data and map production and ArcGIS Pro
• Create and maintain web map applications published via ArcGIS Online
• Prepare professional maps, story maps and publications applying comprehensive cartographic techniques
•Experience with scanning and georeferencing imagery, creating digital elevation models, using ArcGIS Model Builder and Spatial Analyst
• Develop and maintain geospatial datasets and databases
• Experience in geodatabase management and multi – user GIS environment
• Responsibility for all phases of complex GIS projects
• Ability to relate GIS issues with non – technical staff
• GIS documentation and metadata development
• Professional Cartographic production
• GIS web application development and hosting in various platforms
• Maintaining multiple project system architecture diagrams
• Some experience of Adobe CS Suite, ESRI Online, ArcGIS Portal, Open – Source GIS,
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s
Experience: Two (2) years of experience with geographic information
systems including computer graphics and computer hardware digitizing procedures.
Note: A Master’s degree in Geography, or Environmental Science including or
supplemented by the additional credits indicated below may be substituted for one (1)
year of the indicated experience.
Note: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience as
indicated below on a year – for – year basis.
Note: A specific Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Environmental Science or related field
with twelve (12) semester hours in computer mapping/GIS which shall have included
spatial programming and digital image processing may be substituted for one (1) year of
the above experience.
For more information regarding this position, please refer to:
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and
Immigration Services regulations. NJDOT does not provide sponsorship or accept student
OPT/CPT programs, F1 or H1B work authorization visas.
Residency: All persons hired on or after September 1, 2011 have one year from the
date of appointment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of
New Jersey subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 52:14 – 7 (P.L. 2011, c. 70), also known as
the •New Jersey First Act.•
You must apply through the NJDOT website at:
Submit a complete packet by the closing date that includes the following documents:
• NJ State Application for Employment (Application and instructions can be found at link
• Letter of interest
• Current resume
• Copy of unofficial transcript OR foreign degree evaluation
Proof of Degree: You must provide transcript or evaluation of your
UNDERGRADUATE degree. Foreign degree evaluation must be evaluated by a
USA recognized evaluation service and include your course – by – course evaluation.
Incomplete Packets: Applicants MAY NOT be considered if they fail to
provide all requested documents upon initial submittal or fail to follow instructions when
submitting electronically. Applicants will be selected for an interview on the basis of their
Current State employees: Any appointments made that involve movement
may result in a forfeiture of rights to any promotional lists in their former unit.
New Jersey Is An Equal Opportunity Employer