Reports To: Swim School Coordinator
Salary/Wage: $15/hr DOE
About the Northeast Community Center
The NECC is an independent non-profit community center and treasured neighborhood anchor in NE Portland. Located in the former NE Family YMCA facility, the NECC is a thriving hub that offers recreation, aquatics, fitness, wellness, and enrichment programs and activities for all ages. Valued by staff and participants for its welcoming intergenerational environment, the NECC strives to strengthen the fabric of our community by providing opportunities to stay active, socially connected, and physical/mentally healthy.
At the NECC, we respect, value, and welcome diversity in our staff, participants, and in the community, we serve. We strive to hire staff that share these values and who are interested in learning how to best serve and support everyone in the community. We value the life experiences of BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+, and other persons identifying as a member of a community that has been marginalized.
NECC Swim Instructors teach swimming skills and water safety to children using the Red Cross Learn to Swim curriculum. Our program is focused on equity and seeks to reduce the dangers of drowning in the PNW. We are seeking instructors who have a passion for aquatics, are able to work cooperatively with other instructors, are attentive and engaged with their students, and are able to incorporate diverse and fun activities into effective lessons. Employees are also able to enjoy the benefits of membership including access to our gym equipment, a wide range of fitness classes and our pool.
· Must be at least 16 years old and hold a current Lifeguard certificate. If you aren’t certified but are a great fit for our organization, the NECC will pay for your training.
· Must have a strong understanding of swim technique
· 1-2 Years of aquatics teaching experience
· Able to work with and give instruction to a diverse population in a courteous and friendly manner, and leadership and public relation skills with people of all ages.
· Understand of implicit bias, microaggressions, and the ability to communicate with participants that indicates the NECC values all voices and contributors
· Demonstrate awareness of others’ social identities (e.g., race, gender, disability status, religion, etc.) and understands their relevance in the workplace and NECC programs and activities
· Preferred but not required:
o Bicultural or bilingual
o Life experience as Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color, LGBTQIA+, or any persons identifying as a member of a historically marginalized community.
o Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification
· Hours may vary according to the needs of the Swim School
· Part time position – 15-20 hours a week, Afternoons, Evenings and Saturday mornings
· In an effort to keep staff and participants safe during the ongoing pandemic, all lessons are taught from the deck by directing parents or caregivers on how to assist participants in the water or giving direction to intermediate and advanced swimmers without entering the water.
· 100% of staff at the Northeast Community Center have received the Covid-19 vaccine. The person applying for this position will be required to be vaccinated.
· If selected, candidates will need to submit to a background check. Prior involvement with the justice system will not immediately disqualify a candidate.
Submit the following to email@example.com:
· Your resume or a description of your qualifications as it relates to the position
· A cover letter or email letting us know why you would be a good fit for this position
Timeline: Applications are accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible to be considered for the position.