• Under general supervision, lead and participate in natural areas management work, including identifying and protecting native
species, identifying and controlling invasive species, removing debris and trash, maintaining planting sites, improving trails,
application of herbicide, and planting. Work may be performed in multiple habitats, including forests, wetlands, and grasslands.
• Supervise employees and volunteers and instruct them in proper restoration techniques and the proper use and care of equipment
and materials including two-cycle equipment such as hedge-trimmers and chainsaws.
• Manage and supervise volunteer events.
• Maintain records and prepare written reports; use web-based database and GPS handheld units to for daily entry of fieldwork.
• Coordinate on-site restoration efforts with park managers, local community groups and other agencies.
• Interact with staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
1. One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for
trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
2. A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York
Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited
college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or
architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the
work experience described in “1” above.
Additional requirements for Assignment Level II
Candidates must have one additional year of satisfactory, full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the
following areas: propagating planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns.
A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Commercial Pesticide Applicator – Category 3A License Requirement
To be appointed or assigned to Gardener – Assignment Level II, candidates must have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator –
Category 3A License issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. This license must be
maintained for duration of employment.
1. Two years of full-time experience in ecological restoration work, including experience in: planting, cultivating and caring for native
forest plants; removal of invasive plants by mechanical, chemical and manual means, or
2. Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree with emphasis in botany, ecology, forestry, and wildlife management or related fields.
3. Experience supervising field crews
4. Expert in identifying both native and invasive plant species of the northeastern United States.
5. Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. of weight.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two
years of city service. New York City residency within 90 days of hire required for all other candidates.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $82.00. Hired candidates who are not
currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25.00 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your
date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Tely Renata
(email@example.com) or mail to: Tely Renata, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which
position you are applying for.
POST DATE: 08/20/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED