• Under supervision, assist in natural areas management work, including identifying and protecting native species, identifying and
controlling invasive species, removing debris and trash, maintaining planting sites, improving trails and planting. Work may be
performed in multiple habitats, including forests, wetlands and grasslands.
• Work may include the following: operating cars, trucks, and other types of motorized vehicles, use of 2 cycle equipment such as
hedge-trimmers and chainsaws, application of herbicide, cutting and carrying woody debris, chipping, maintaining planting sites and
• Plant and work with volunteers.
• Enter field work information into web-based databases.
• Interact with staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
1. One year of full‐time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following planting, cultivating and caring for
trees, plants shrubs and lawns; or
2. A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college‐level courses, such as programs offered by the New York
Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited
college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or
architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the
work experience described in “1” above.
License Requirement: A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration
1. Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in botany, ecology, forestry and wildlife management or related fields.
2. Experience with hand and power tools used in natural resources work a plus.
3. Familiarity with both native and invasive plant species of the northeastern United States.
4. Valid NYS pesticide applicator or technician license.
5. Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. of weight.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for
employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates within 90 days
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the
City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your
date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Tely Renata (email@example.com)
or mail to: Tely Renata, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which
position you are applying for.
POST DATE: 08/20/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED