• Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, provide technical and field assistance in
the restoration and management of natural areas parkland across New York City.
• Assist in conducting ecological and environmental monitoring in the City’s streams, wetlands, grasslands, and forests.
• Conduct vegetation monitoring, including plant identification in restored and existing ecosystems.
• Accurately locate study areas using a GPS or other handheld device and use ArcGIS software to map data.
• Document, download, and edit field data daily or as needed on handheld devices or paper datasheets.
• Assist in data entry, QA/QC, and analysis as needed.
• Prepare maps, figures, and final reports to submit to senior staff and collaborators.
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities
in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
1. Associate degree in environmental science, ecology, natural resource management or a related field. Bachelor’s a plus.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work in a team.
3. Comfortable with Microsoft office programs, including MS Word, Excel and Access.
4. Comfortable with ArcGIS software, including handheld GPS units.
5. Field experience conducting ecological monitoring, including knowledge of NYC native and invasive flora.
6. Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
7. A valid New York State driver license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required
for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates
within 90 days of hire.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00. Hired candidates who are not
currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your
date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Tely Renata (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or mail to: Tely Renata, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which
position you are applying for.
POST DATE: 08/20/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED