• Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, collaborate with natural resource
management and maintenance staff to plan and design trails that encourage community use and protect sensitive natural
• Prioritize and implement trail projects in parkland throughout New York City through a combination of improvements and
closures to existing unofficial trail networks.
• Contribute to an accurate database of trail networks and features via ArcMap and ArcGIS Online and make maps for internal
and external audiences as needed. Document all new and ongoing projects.
• Assist in data entry, editing and analysis as needed. Create draft trail maps using appropriate symbology for spatial and
tabular data for use in reviewing trails with park managers and for trail improvement projects.
• Support one-time and long-term volunteers, interns and seasonal field crews.
• Assist in planning and teaching workshops to partners and staff.
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an
area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
1. Associate degree or higher, preferably in environmental science or outdoor recreation.
2. Experience in natural resource management, including trail standards, design and construction.
3. Ability to identify native and invasive plants.
4. Basic carpentry skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and liaise with a wide range of stakeholders.
6. Experience with ArcGIS and handheld GPS and tablets.
7. Willingness to work outdoors for long hours in NYC natural areas in various weather conditions.
8. A valid New York State driver license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with
over two years of city service. New York City residency with 90 days of hire required for all other candidates.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City
will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have
been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be
met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Tely Renata (email@example.com) or
or mail to: Tely Renata, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which
position you are applying for.
POST DATE: 08/20/21 POST UNTIL: FILLED