Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy Group in the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences Division (CNMS), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) to be part of a multi-institutional team conducting research on catalyst performance and stability.
Specifically, your research will focus on advancing electron microscopy methods for catalytic science, especially Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM)-based imaging and spectroscopy, to elucidate the role(s) of interfaces in catalysis toward understanding nanoscale phenomena. The work will focus on using aberration-corrected STEM imaging and spectroscopy, coupled with innovative in situ methods, to interrogate catalyst systems at the atomic-level. You will work closely with the research team at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Stanford Univeristy on catalyst synthesis, theory, and computational learning to design experiments and validate the microscopy results.
- Conduct catalysis research using aberration-corrected STEM, emphasizing atomic and electronic structure evolution during in situ gas environmental reactions
- Conduct catalysis research using in situ gas environmental STEM-based imaging and spectroscopy
- Work with scientists and post docs at CNMS and Stanford University to advance STEM methods for studying catalyst structure and behavior and those with different expertise to validate microscopy and develop quantitative interpretation of results
- Present research and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely fashion
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Physics, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Strong Background and hands-on experience in STEM or in situ environmental TEM imaging
- Background in aberration-corrected STEM
- Background in in situ TEM or STEM techniques
- An excellent record of productive and creative research shown by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.