Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will focus on microstructure-property correlations of advanced materials in either nonirradiated or irradiated conditions to understand different failure mechanisms under varied tests. This position resides in the Advanced Nuclear Materials Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division, Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will conduct materials science research that relates complex microstructures with properties and behaviors of advanced metallic alloys for nuclear fisson and fusion energy applications using the state-of-the-art experimental tools. This will require to bring your strength to enrich the team, learn from team members specialized in different technical aspects, and develop your specialties and career path through collaborations and relevant trainings.
- Lead in microstructural characterization in support of mechanistic understanding of mechanical properties of advanced alloys for nuclear applications
- Support a variety of mechanical property assessment via testing with miniature and regular specimen sizes
- Work closely with other team members to meet milestones and maintain a high level of scientific productivity
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timelymanner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or a related discipline completed within the last five years
- Expertise in electron microscopy (TEM/STEM, SEM), related analytical techniques (e.g., EDS, EBSD, in-situ testing, etc.), and sample preparation techniques (e.g., FIB, etc.)
- Familiarity with mechanics of metals and related mechanical property tests
- Demonstrated proficiency at conventional/scanning transmission electron microscopy, related analytical techniques and analysis
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to an international, scientific audience
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants,