The Omega Kitchen is a large full-scale food production facility. It produces up to 2500 plant-based meals per day as well as a breads and desserts for both the Dining Hall and Café.
Kitchen Helpers assist with the production of all meals and the necessary components, including food prep, cleaning, and dish washing. This will be done with support from the Cooks, Lead Cooks, Sous Chefs and Executive Chef. It is the responsibility of the employee to maintain a clean and safe kitchen at all times. This includes following New York State Department of Health codes, as well as all H.A.C.C.P. regulations for storage and cooling.
- Ability to be flexible in learning every station and all areas of production need to produce every item for all meals
- Regular cleaning support to all areas of kitchen
- Dish washing
- Assist the cooks in the preparation and production of individual meals (this could mean breakfast, lunch, dinner, garden manger, or prep)
- Prepare foodstuffs for meals
- Label and store prepared items in proper location
- Provide support to other kitchen stations as needed
Adhere to the Omega Core Values
- Working with knives, equipment with moving blades, open stovetop flames, hot ovens, steam and oil
- Regularly lift/carry/move heavy items
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
- Eager to Learn
- Timely, reliable, and service-oriented individual
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. regularly, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to work in high temperature conditions for long periods
- Ability to stand for long periods regularly
- Ability to navigate a hilly campus in diverse weather conditions
- Compliance with all COVID-19 mandatory campus-wide and departmentally specific requirements including being fully vaccinated by the start of the season.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc. (“Omega”) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, New York State, and local laws. Omega strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of actual or perceived race; color; creed; age; religion; national origin; citizenship status; sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and pregnancy-related medical conditions); gender (including gender identity and transgender status); sexual orientation; disability (which includes functional limitations caused by gender dysphoria); marital status; partnership status; familial status; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sex offenses; genetic predisposition; veteran’s status; military status; or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. All Omega employees, other workers, and representatives are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, testing, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, transfers, leaves of absence, and termination of employment.