Guest Services Assistant Manager
$17.25 – $19.50 per hour
Regular, Part-Time – scheduled for 30-39 hours per week
Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
Do you have retail experience? The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is looking for a Guest Services Assistant Manager! The Guest Services Assistant Manager assists the Guest Services Manager in overseeing the daily operations of the central information and customer service hub for the museum. This position provides customer service to OMSI’s onsite guests, as well as leadership and training for the GS Floor Supervisors and Representatives. The GSA Manager provides support in all aspects of on-site sales and department management, and is the daily operations floor manager. In joining the OMSI team, you also participate in OMSI’s vision to ignite an education transformation at the intersection of science and technology that spreads educational opportunities across the Northwest.
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation’s top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. The museum features five exhibit halls and eight science labs featuring hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations, as well as residential camps and programs across the region. OMSI’s staff consists of 250-300 paid employees and 500 volunteers. They share a passion for our mission and believe deeply in partnering with communities across the region to achieve collective impact.
· Assist the Guest Services Manager in support of achieving OMSI’s customer service goals, as well as adhering to operational standards and procedures:
o Provide expert-level knowledge of OMSI products/activities and leadership to GS team members to capitalize on sales opportunities, deliver outstanding service, and efficiently administer the ticket and membership sales process;
o Provide support in hiring, onboarding, training, and coaching of GS team members;
o Provide support services to GS leadership such as completing clerical duties, handling purchase orders and vendor invoices, and events assistance.
o Perform opening and closing tasks such as start-of-day cash retrieval and end-of-day cash drawer deposits.
· Communicate and partner with other departments to ensure sales and service deliverables are met in an exemplary manner, and efforts are coordinated to achieve best results e.g. develop admission, attraction, and membership content on OMSI’s website
· Act as a liaison between GS and Volunteer Engagement for coordinating with and supporting GS volunteers throughout the museum, such as maintaining the GS volunteer schedule and producing training materials
· Supervise the GS Supervisor, Representative, and Volunteer positions. Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Monitor staff for adherence to established opening, closing, and emergency procedures;
o Ensure compliance with cash controls and perform intermediate database, item, and maintenance of point of sale systems;
o Provide regular 1-on-1s, check-ins, and scheduling support;
o Ensure staff coverage by stepping in as needed
· Developed communication skills, with an emphasis on customer service and problem-solving
· Ability to model and support a positive team dynamic with paid and unpaid staff
· Working knowledge of Point of Sales (POS) and database systems
· High proficiency with Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office
· High School Diploma or GED
· 2 years of cumulative experience with increasing responsibility:
o Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment, often with stringent and overlapping deadlines;
o Worked collaboratively with both small and large teams/departments to ensure high customer service quality;
o Working knowledge of best practices in staff professional development, such as mentorship and leadership opportunities for rising professionals.
· Oregon Food Handler’s card
· Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) license
· Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check and reference checks.
· Competitive health benefits.
· Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Days, and Holiday pay!
· Free OMSI annual membership
· Reciprocal Employee Attractions Pass – Valid for two free general admissions to 23 Oregon attractions.
All are welcome at OMSI.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining individuals from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, citizenship status, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion guide our process as we build a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills so that we can better reflect and serve our community. We strongly invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to diversity.
To learn more or apply, visit https://omsi.applicantpool.com/jobs/626942.html.
Position closes when filled.
OMSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.