Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate to support the health services research program aiming to generate real world evidence to improve kidney disease and hypertension treatment and management strategies.
The Research Associate will act as the primary liaison between team members, coordinating research and administrative components of research studies, including management of data use agreements, harmonizing variables across datasets, data management, and preparation of research findings for publication under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI), Manjula Tamura M.D., MPH.
The ideal candidate would have a PhD in epidemiology or a Master’s degree with several years of experience in conducting observational research with large datasets.
Schedule: 20-29 hours a week, work from home flexibility, but will be on site at the VA hospital in Palo Alto 2 days/week.
Benefits: sick pay, 401(k) with Company Match and profit sharing, wellness program. Professional development courses, and commuter benefits.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR):
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Organize large observational datasets for meta-analysis, including reviewing variable definitions, harmonizing variables across datasets, and creating data dictionary;
- Manage data use agreements;
- Prepare descriptive data analysis using statistical programming software to identify data or coding problems, analyze and interpret patterns;
- Maintain accurate and up to date documentation of work.
- Prepare Institutional Review Board (IRB) materials and the development and revisions of protocols;
- Support the PI and research team in meeting administrative and compliance requirements;
- Coordinate day-to-day office activities;
- Organize meetings, conference calls, and arrange travel;
- Submit purchase requests and track progress;
- Participate in team meetings, maintaining project tasks and taking meeting minutes.
- Assist in the preparation of abstracts, publications and presentations;
- Assist in annual progress reporting.
- Master’s degree required; Ph.D. in epidemiology preferred;
- At least 1 year of related experience, including training in public health, epidemiology or biostatistics and an advanced understanding of observational research;
- Ability to use one or more statistical packages: SAS, SQL, R, STAT, and/or SPSS;
- Prior experience conducting statistical analysis and working with large observational or administrative claims datasets and/or familiarity with VA data desired;
- Successful completion of advanced-level coursework in statistics, math or related field;
- Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative team;
- Strong understanding of concepts in epidemiology and biostatistics, and ability to communicate these concepts in scientific writing;
- Proficiency with MS Word;
- Capability to produce reference documents and to outline work processes in writing;
- Excellent written communication and scientific writing skills;
- Familiarity with processes of Institutional Review.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care
System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.