The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Assistant to support two main projects conducted in the Fox laboratory, which is part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System.
The primary project is examining accelerated wound healing in the setting of infection using in vitro and in vivo models. The secondary project is assisting with a project looking at muscle changes after chronic nerve compression.
Schedule: General Monday Friday schedule, but the Research Assistant may need to occasionally work on a weekend day.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development Training
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Perform in vivo and in vitro work to treat bacteria with antibiotics;
- Assist in small animal surgery and train to perform small animal surgery independently;
- Maintain cell cultures;
- Perform biomechanical testing in collaboration with a biomedical engineer;
- Perform basic nerve conduction studies;
- Order supplies and maintain compliance records;
- Aid in research protocol development;
- Perform flow cytometric analysis as needed;
- Occasional travel to Stanford for equipment use;
- Assist other laboratory personnel as needed;
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and spreadsheets;
- Prepare progress reports and lab meeting presentations on work performed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in biological sciences, biomedical sciences, or related field is required.
LICENSE: Valid Driver’s License required.
- Required: at least 1 year of related experience;
- 2 years of related lab/bench experience;
- Experience working with small animals;
- Experience with cell culture, histology, and immunohistochemistry (IHC);
- Experience working with bacteria;
- Experience with flow cytometry is a strong plus.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- May need to occasionally work on a weekend day;
- Knowledge of microbiology and tissue engineering;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection is strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education and/or experience;
- Knowledge of lab safety procedures;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Ability to evaluate the technical results of experiments and to identify problems when they occur;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral);
- Ability to learn new techniques from written protocols;
- Organizational skills and detail orientated;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Basic understanding of molecular biology, and statistics.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 30 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to a wet lab environment, bloodborne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents. Occasionally travel to Stanford for equipment use.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.