The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate to perform in vitro molecular and cell biology procedures, as well as in vivo rodent procedures to achieve the Zabel laboratory’s research goals. The overall goal of the lab’s research is to explore mechanisms of cancer immunotherapy and autoimmune disease.
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time, Exempt (salaried) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development Training
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Perform sterile tissue culture of numerous cell lines; Generate, test, and maintain transfected cell lines;
- Perform in vitro cell-based assays (b-arrestin assays, transwell chemotaxis assays);
- Assist with molecular biology techniques (i.e., PCR genotyping);
- Perform and optimize animal procedures, such as tail vein injection and immunizations;
- Monitor and check on research animals;
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, biosafety, safety issues, and research administration;
- Assist with training and orientation of new students;
- Design and execute studies evaluating chemerin and DGAT1 in cancer and autoimmune disease;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with other lab staff and with the Principal Investigator to ensure project design, prioritization and coordination;
- Contribute to manuscript and grant preparation.
- Required: Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in biological sciences or in a related field;
- Desired: Ph.D. in biological sciences or in a related field.
- 2 or more years of related experience in a wet lab setting;
- Experience working with research animals, especially rodents;
- Proficient in PCR, ELISA, and flow cytometry;
- Desired: 5 or more years of related experience in a wet lab setting.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- Knowledge of immunology, principles of cell culture, and molecular biology;
- Strong knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments independently;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to wet lab environment, radiation, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.