Pender Veterinary Centre in Fairfax, Virginia is offering new/recent grads the opportunity for a year of mentorship to learn these disciplines in a state-of-the-art, team-based environment in preparation for their veterinary careers. This wonderful opportunity for professional growth is accompanied with a generous internship salary and robust benefits package.
• Caring for emergencies with dedicated technicians and state-of-the-art equipment.
• Growing your skills in routine elective procedures.
• Learning how to perform emergency and advanced surgical procedures.
• Seeing emergencies and wellness appointments with experienced veterinarians and staff by your side.
• Building confidence in treating exotics species and wildlife in the largest exotics practice in the DC Metro area.
• Getting exposure to shelter medicine, including shelter animal and feral cat colony surgeries.
• Learning from board-certified specialists during 2-week rotations in Dentistry and Ophthalmology.
The practice is a 24-hour, full-service small animal hospital. It offers a significant caseload with 28 doctors and a 20,000 ft² custom veterinary facility housing state-of-the-art equipment. The doctors and staff at Pender have been serving the DC metropolitan area for over 45 years. Pender Veterinary Centre includes a dedicated 5-doctor exotics department, an 18-doctor small animal practice, and a 6-doctor emergency practice all located in the same building. The facility includes 16 exam rooms, modern surgical suites, state-of-the-art in-house diagnostic lab equipment, digital radiology, ultrasonography, CT (coming Fall 2021), laser therapy, endoscopy, laparoscopy and more.
As an intern with Pender Veterinary Centre, you will have a year of primary care case responsibility for first-opinion and emergency/critical care cases. You will gain valuable surgical experience as the primary surgeon on both elective and entry-level procedures as well as the secondary surgeon on complex procedures. Additionally, our exotics hospital will provide you with ample access and exposure to exotics medicine. Pender Veterinary Centre sees over 70,000 cases each year, over 8,000 of which are exotics species and over 6,000 of which are emergency cases.
A Pender internship will facilitate a well-rounded small animal veterinary medicine experience to prepare a growing doctor for primary care or emergency practice, while offering mentorship that emphasizes teamwork, positivity, approachability, and flexibility.
Pender Veterinary Centre is located in Fairfax Virginia, 16 miles outside of Washington DC. With the beach 3 hours to the east and mountains less than 2 hours to the west, there are numerous outdoor activities nearby. Northern Virginia and the D.C. Metro area offer residents exciting nightlife, top restaurants, many local arts, and entertainment venues, historical sites, museums, over 20 National Parks within an hour’s drive.
• Health, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance available
• State licensing fees
• DEA licensing fees (1 year)
• Liability insurance
• Local CE opportunities available
• Regular in-house RACE approved CE programs
• Uniform allowance
• Pet Care Discount
• VIN Membership dues (if student membership expires)
• AVMA Membership dues (if student membership expires)
This position is not designed for individuals seeking to go into a residency program, but is ideal for an individual that seeks to practice the high level of medicine and surgery that was taught in veterinary school and is more than a preventative care practice.
For more information about Pender Veterinary Centre, please visit our website at www.pendervet.com