Our Technology & Engineering internship program offers opportunities for 95+ interns and has a strong reputation with over 20 years of history. You’ll work on real projects collaborating with a range of team members, including other interns through senior level management. We’ll place you in a role customized to your expertise and interests, all while working in an Agile team environment. You’ll be assigned a formal leader and mentor to help guide you through the program. This is an excellent opportunity to understand and learn more about Principal’s Technology Engineering culture!
As a Software Engineer intern, project involvement could include:
- Delivering customer centric solutions that incorporate desired capabilities, security, scalability, and performance
- Collaborating with your scrum team to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software and systems while also gaining cloud experience
- Solving interesting and complex problems to create a positive customer experience
- Partnering with architecture, technical engineers, and other roles on application design and architecture
- Aiding in improving operations, documenting and demonstrating solutions, and ensuring software is updated and secure
- Developing maintainable and high quality software by integrating automation tests and following best practices as laid out by the team
As a Data Engineer Intern, project involvement could include:
- Leveraging software and technology skills to deliver on a variety of data solutions to advance data analysis and insights
- Conducting data engineering and analysis tasks to meet business requirements and maximize effectiveness
- Working with teammates and business partners to build technical solutions that are reusable, scalable, fast, and maintainable through datasets, both clean and un-clean.
- Solving a broad scope of data infrastructure/data pipeline related challenges and opportunities
- Combining data from multiple sources in an on-prem or cloud integration platform, data transformations, data virtualization and data visualization domains
What to expect from your internship?
We’re committed to providing you a great experience regardless of your preferred location. This past summer, we held our first ever hybrid based internship program – and had great success. Principal is committed to continuously enhancing capabilities to provide a highly collaborative hybrid work environment.
Our Internship Program offers many ways to connect, network, and collaborate. Hear from Principal’s senior-most leaders through our Executive Speaker Series and collaborate with interns across the company in cross-disciplinary teams during our annual IT Intern Code Jam. To learn more specific details about our Internship Program, what to expect, etc. click here.
- Current enrollment – or has a degree – in a preferred science, technology, engineering, or math-related field of study
- Minimum 2.8 Cumulative GPA
- Involvement in student organizations on respective campus, within the community or prior internship experience
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Strong work ethic
- A passion for technology which includes:
- Technical curiosity
- Ability to think critically and solution for technology-based problems
- Leadership positions within student, work or community organizations
- Past IT internship or work experience
- Technical experience with:
- Data visualization technologies – R, Business Objects, Informatica, PowerBI, SAS
- Automation tooling
- DevOps, Agile methodologies
This internship can be located either at our corporate headquarters in Des Moines, IA, office in Charlotte, NC, or remote per your preference.
At this time, we’re not considering candidates that need any type of immigration sponsorship now or in the future or those needing work authorization for this role. (This includes, but is not limited to students on F1-OPT, F1-CPT, J-1, etc.) For additional information around work authorization needs please use the following links.
Principal is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.