Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
This creates many research opportunities at the intersection of computer science, data science, psychology, economics, and digital art:
- Systems: scaling network, datacenter, and client resources for tens of thousands of players in the same real-time simulated environment.
- Voice, Avatars, and NLP: emotion detection, natural language translation, TTS/STT, voice transformation, 3D audio, facial expressions, accessibility for hearing and vision impairment
- Content Creation: programming languages; non-player characters, dialog and narrative; high-level world creation; non-expert geometry creation and manipulation; UX
- Analytics: content moderation, anti-harassment and anti-bullying, behavioral analysis, social analysis, recommendation systems
Many of these are particularly amenable to deep neural networks and other machine learning techniques.
In 2020, we were honored to be one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the US.
Roblox is seeking a passionate and highly motivated Graduate Research Intern for Fall 2021.
- Enrolled in a computer science or computer engineering Ph.D. program
- Studying analytics, NLP, machine learning, systems, or graphics
- Proficient in C++ and Python
- Computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Collaborate with Ph.D. mentors in Research and Analytics departments, as well as engineers
- Conduct experiments via prototypes and data analysis
- Help shape the vision for the metaverse and invent solutions for its challenges
- Prepare an article for submission to a peer-reviewed venue
- Enjoy whole-company social events in both the real and virtual worlds
Location: San Mateo, CA with remote possibilities in 2021
Duration: 12 Weeks
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar