Under the direction of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Education Board (“Board”), the Vice President of Education (“VP”) plays a both an academic and administrative leadership role to advance the Tribe’s academic and professional development vision and mission through the Tribe’s Education Department. The VP of Education is an established leader with experience, integrity, and creativity who understands the unique needs of Tribal communities within the realm of educational achievement and can match these needs with multi-year programming that provides multi-generational educational, career, and personal development pathways for all Tribal families, from cradle to grave.
The VP is directly accountable to the Board for the overall operations of the Education Department, which also includes Tribal community engagement, long range planning and execution, educational programming excellence, acquisition and retention of top talent, and ensuring fiduciary responsibility and forward-looking planning.
The VP is strategically minded with the astute ability to translate the Board’s vision, goals, and directives into actionable and sustainable plans that includes broad access (both internal and external), transformative educational experiences, and a pathway to a successful and satisfying future.
The VP is a motivational leader and a visible and positive presence who inspires the highest aspirations and ambitions for the quality and reputation of the Education Department.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develops, evaluates and makes recommendations to the Education Board regarding Tribal code, Board charters, and related administrative policies governing the operation of the Education Department.
2. Works directly with the Education Board Chair to execute the vision of the Board and their priorities at an operational and administrative level, including meeting and retreat planning and providing training/extended learning opportunities for all Board members.
3. Plans and facilitates all Board meetings and retreats, and enlists assistance of and contracts with consultants, ex-officios, and guest speakers, as requested or recommended.
4. Creates multi-year, phased strategic plans related to desired educational achievements/goals.
5. Creates metrics and a reporting cadence by which achievement of goals and the larger Board vision will be measured.
6. Provides strategic leadership for all elements of the San Manuel education department: academic success; cultural literacy; language revitalization; personal/professional development; and school creation and assists the Board in further evolving their foci and related programming.
7. Provides strategic leadership for ways to build additional community-based services and increasing and maintaining parent/child/community engagement, while also building self-sufficiency and community capacity.
8. Ensures that the vision of the Education Board is understood by, aligned with, and supported by the larger Tribal government and that cross-functional integration and communication occurs at the highest levels of both Tribal leadership and executive leadership.
9. Leverages existing partnerships with other educational professionals/institutions/non-profits in the region—illustrates existing regional relationships and/or ability to create additional relationships.
10. Provides overall leadership for systems, programs, policies and procedures that foster the effective management of resources and meets all internal and external policies and standards.
11. Advances a compelling and innovative vision for the Education Department by encouraging and supporting scholarship, facilitating teaching excellence, advocating for holistic, cross-pollinated programming, and cultivating collegial and constructive relationships within the Education department and across the Tribal government and its enterprises.
12. Working in partnership with department leadership and other stakeholders, develops strategies to recruit and retain a diverse, exceptional staff, investing appropriately in opportunities to facilitate individual excellence and success.
13. Develops and maintains strong relations within the local academic community, as well as other San Manuel departments, whose technical expertise can advance the vison and goals of the Education department.
14. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to any public health emergency.
15. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
- Master’s degree in Education, Educational Administration or MBA with considerable experience in Education is required.
- Doctoral degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ experience in Education is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Education progressively higher administrative roles, including direct reporting to a School Board/Board of Directors or similar is required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Experience in creating/opening/managing schools (pre-school and elementary school experience particularly attractive) is required.
- Experience working with, by, or for Native American communities is strongly preferred as is knowledge regarding unique challenges faced by indigenous peoples with regard to educational attainment, language and culture revitalization, and wellness.
- Has the ability to articulate a compelling vision and to inspire and unite a community around it and has an equivalent capacity for building consensus around implementing and operationalizing strategic plans and initiatives.
- Must be a passionate advocate, holds strong identification with the Tribe’s mission, and is committed to the transforming power of education.
- Demonstrated administrative acumen and nimbleness regarding the strategic and financial implications of decisions.
- Understands the education landscape and demonstrates the capacity to understand and serve as a respected thought leader.
- Is aware of the challenges facing education and has a deep understanding of the dynamics of accreditation, licensing and certification. Knowledge of CA Public Resources and Health and Safety Code related to Education (Pre-School through Post-Secondary), as well as Federal Educational standards and programs, is strongly preferred.
- Recognized expertise in educational administration. Thorough knowledge of educational structures, practices, and procedures related to the administration of education programs.
- Experienced in creating successful educational programming via the adoption of new curriculum and instructional pathways, increased community accessibility and engagement, and the parallel advancement of both traditional and contemporary ways of learning.
- Demonstrated style of leadership and management that is innovative, collaborative, data-informed, inclusive, and empowers others to succeed, fosters respect, builds pride in the accomplishment of shared goals, and feeds upon two-way communication.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!