Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Research Assistant I position is available in the Wang Lab.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Research Assistant I who will be responsible for providing high-level technical support for ongoing research efforts in Dr. Eric Wang’s lab. The goals of our research program are to develop and advance small molecules to target cancer drivers and modulate the anti-tumor immune response, with the ultimate goal of gaining new biological insights and validating new therapeutic targets. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a new team with a committed mentor that is pushing the boundaries of chemical biology.
Under specific direction, the Research Assistant I will perform a variety of laboratory tasks, including preparing samples, analyzing data, providing basic interpretation, and setting up and operating standard lab equipment.
- Molecular and cell biology techniques including western blotting, PCR, qPCR, sterile tissue culture, cloning, DNA/RNA isolation, CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome editing experiments, flow cytometry, and cell sorting.
- Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain and troubleshoot equipment.
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings, including grant preparation and presentations, and with opportunities to co-author publications.
- Participate in formal and information presentations of results to staff.
- May be responsible for designing and executing advanced experiments and setting strategy.
- Maintain detailed notebook of all work-related activities.
- Participate in grant application process and manuscript preparation as required.
- Clean, maintain, and prepare supplies and work areas and may be responsible for ordering of supplies. Collaborates with Purchasing and may be responsible for negotiating with vendors.
- Monitors laboratory work to ensure compliance with Environmental Health and Safety information as well as the standard operation procedures specific to each laboratory.
- Expected to provide intellectual and interactive commitment to position by keeping up with appropriate literature and research publications.
- May be responsible for the development, modification and improvement of standard operating procedures.
- Use computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics, or high-technology applications to perform work duties.
- May be responsible for the examination of animals and specimens to detect the presence of disease or other problems.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a major in biology, biochemistry or chemistry preferred.
- MS in biology, or a related field, and/or at least 1-2 years of professional laboratory experience is a plus.
- At least a two-year commitment preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Previous technical experience with basic cellular and molecular biology research techniques is required, including, but not limited to tissue culture, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, extraction and analysis of DNA and RNA, PCR, and cloning
- Willingness and ability to work with biohazardous material and/or potential carcinogens, and rodents (experience in mouse handling is a plus).
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills and a working knowledge of data management, word processing, and graphic software (Excel, MS Word, Graphpad/PRISM) is preferred.
- Knowledge of information and techniques related to either biology, chemistry, or medicine is preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and be able to work with a wide variety of faculty and staff.
- Ability to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Must have attention to detail and be thorough in completing work tasks.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children’s disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.