Position Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
We are currently recruiting for a Research and Development Scientist. This position is located at our Lake Charles Chemical Complex.
Sasol offers a comprehensive total rewards package with market-related compensation and benefits that are consistent across our sites in the USA. The total rewards package is competitive within our industry and is designed to attract and retain our most valuable assets – our employees. Come be a part of our Growing Team.
Sasol is a global integrated chemicals and energy company spanning 30 countries. Through our talented people, we use our expertise and selected technologies to safely and sustainably source, manufacture and market chemical and energy products globally. Sustainability has become a major driver in our business where we advance chemical and energy solutions that contribute to a thriving planet, society and enterprise. In support, we have prioritized four relevant Sustainable Development Goals to ensure our business is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable.
We are a public company listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in South Africa and the New York Stock Exchange in the United States. We strive to deliver sustainable and superior value to all our stakeholders. Learn more about Sasol at www.sasol.com or www.sasolnorthamerica.com
Purpose of Job
Responsible for successfully executing research projects/technical programs to achieve research objectives for key project teams, business unit, or production units and to initiate/lead key projects dedicated to revenue and cost improvement of the business
- Independently develops and executes a research program made up of complex technical projects
- Identifies and leads the development of technical solutions to key problems/issues known within the R&D function
- Responsible for successfully executing research projects to achieve research objectives for key project teams; responsible for coordinating safely conducted laboratory experiments, and for the generation and communication of reliable, well-documented data
- Thorough understanding of key technologies of the assigned process, product, application and/or work area
- Independently adds to the knowledge base of the organization in areas which are previously unexplored, often building comprehensive theoretical models that create significant new understanding in key technology areas
- Routinely plans the technical program in the assigned area and leads others within the group or in cross-group team projects
- Generates new ideas to identify unexplored key technology areas for developing intellectual property
- Technical supervisor of up to 4 personnel
Bachelor’s/Master‘s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Ceramic Engineering or related field with 5-10 years of industry related experience or
PhD preferred with 0-5 years of industry related experience
- 2+ years of industry Research & Development – Inorganic Chemistry, Material Science, and/or Ceramic Engineering experience preferred
- 2+ years of experience with pressure vessels and pilot plant equipment preferred
- 2+ years of experience interrupting typical inorganic chemical data including BET, XRD, particle size, TGA preferred
Required Personal and Professional Skills
- Ability to effectively solve problems and reach conclusions in multiple technical areas
- Technical mastery of the fundamentals of a scientific or technical discipline, such as chemistry, engineering, etc. with strong mathematical/laboratory skills
- Maintains an effective network with key stakeholders such as Sales & Marketing, technical peers, site manufacturing, or operating unit personnel
- Effective interpersonal skills to work with internal and external customers
Sasol (USA) Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by applicable law, regulation or local ordinance. For more information about your rights under the law, see http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Sasol treats work-authorized job applicants equally in recruiting and hiring without regard to their citizenship status or national origin unless required by law, regulation, executive order, government contract, or determination by the Attorney General. Please note Sasol will not sponsor, obtain, and/or petition for temporary visa status (for example, E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN) for candidates for this position and/or personnel hired for this position.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment