Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences, and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
POSITION TITLE: Maintenance Mechanic II- FL (PART -TIME)
The Maintenance Mechanic II, reporting to the Facilities Supervisor, performs maintenance, installation, and repairs of a wide variety of equipment and buildings in support of the daily operations of the Scripps Research facilities, labs, offices, equipment, and grounds.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Possess general experience in welding, plumbing, painting, carpentry and as a locksmith. Builds and/or installs shelves, cabinets, lab tops, doors and desk keyboard trays; hangs signs, pictures and boards; repairs door hinges, knobs and closures.
- Replaces ballasts, electrical outlets, light switches and light bulbs; hangs light fixtures; repairs or replaces frayed power cords and plugs;
- Inspects sinks, drinking fountains, urinals, toilets,; unclogs drains; install pipes ; performs light repairs of sinks and garbage disposals;
- Replaces floor and ceiling tiles; caulks around bathroom fixtures.
- Works with specialized lab support equipment including hoods, incubators, freezers or other lab equipment as assigned;
- Moves equipment, freezers and furniture;
- Responds to emergency calls and equipment alarms; evaluates problem and makes repairs or requests appropriate specialist;
- Interprets blueprints, drawings, layouts or other specifications to determine installation or repair requirements;
- Estimates labor and material costs for work requests; may order supplies:
- Performs routine work orders and preventative maintenance tasks, as assignee
- Accurately records daily hours worked and time spent on individual tasks;
- Works daily with the Facilities Computer Maintenance Management System (CMMS) Software (Micromain); BAS software May perform related tasks and work of other Facilities department personnel, as required or assigned.
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in general maintenance or construction.
- Trade/Vocational School certification and 2 years of experience may be substituted for 4 years of experience
- Knowledge of materials applications, proper use of tools, safety practices and techniques.
- Requires professional interpersonal, communication, and written skills.
- Ability to evaluate, troubleshoot, and repair mechanical and electrical systems for coordination with other facilities staff.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects, with or without accommodation, up to 50 pounds, use hand power tools, and work under time constraints.
- Possess basic computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Requires valid driver license issued from the state in which the position is located.
- Previous experience working in a research, hospital, or university setting is preferred.
- Prior experience doing ARC, TIG, MiG, stick, or spot welding is strongly preferred.
- Florida and Palm Beach County residents preferred.
- Available for On-call- Days, nights, weekends, and holiday coverage.
- Work schedule- Weekdays 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Benefits Offered
Commensurate with experience.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually.
EEO Statement: Scripps is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.