ABOUT US: Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
Position Title: Staff Scientist
The hiring laboratory builds software infrastructure and tools for bioinformatics, genomics, and infectious disease research. We focus on developing infrastructure to harvest and integrate diverse data and creating platforms to discover, share, and analyze that data (outbreak.info, Data Discovery Engine). This position will be involved in improving the discoverability of biomedical data to accelerate the pace of research and rapidly respond to disease outbreaks. They will focus on developing schemas to harmonize data from different data repositories and designing methods to connect dataset discovery to data analysis tools.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics or in an appropriate scientific discipline required.
- A minimum of two-year post-PhD work experience that includes software application development and programming in Python.
- A cover letter describing how your background aligns with your understanding of our needs.
Prior expertise with one or more of the following is preferred:
- Biomedical research, including allergy, infectious disease, genetics, genomics, and/or drug discovery
- Data schemas and markup
- Biomedical ontologies
- Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable (FAIR) data
- Analysis in languages like R and SAS
- Analysis using notebooks (Jupyter Notebook, Google Collaboratory, Observable, etc.)
- Experience working in a multi-developer environment
- Working as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team
- Git / GitHub
Location: La Jolla, California. Remote Employment in the United States will be considered.
Physical Requirements: This position works in an office environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
EEO Statement: The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.