Engineering Intern (Spring / Summer 2022)
We are looking for self-starting interns with a passion for learning and growth mindsets. Candidates must be highly motivated college students willing to intern with SOE during the Spring or Summer (2022) for three to six-month periods. Interns will gain a range of hands-on electrical engineering experience going through a design cycle for engineering hardware.
SOE’s interns have the opportunity to gain significant on the job learning and will directly apply engineering design fundamentals to produce impactful results.
- Interns will report to a mentor who will be responsible for candidate feedback and learning— mentors will also assign tasks and projects to work closely with the teams
- Perform electrical prototyping, schematic capture, PCB layout, and general electrical engineering work
- Using electrical test equipment to make measurements and troubleshoot boards
- Gain exposure to electronic assembly, PCB soldering, and wire harness assembly
- Program microcontrollers or FPGAs and test software applications
- Currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university or college for relevant degree programs (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Math, related field)
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (Python, C, C++, R, etc.)
- First or second year circuits classes and knowledge of electrical engineering fundamentals
- Curious and passionate about electrical engineering and technology with the ability to learn and take instruction
Preferred Skills Experience:
- Experience in a team-based design and build project (e.g., Formula SAE, Solar Car, CubeSat, etc.)
- Experience with embedded software development, preferably with microcontrollers such as MSP430, STM32, or AVR
- Familiarity with machining tools including milling machines, lathes, and CNC equipment
- CAD software design experience for PCB and/or mechanical designs
- Experience with circuit simulation using LTspice, Pspice, or similar programs
- Experience in soldering and crimping for complex systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Applicant must be willing to work 40 hours a week on-site in El Segundo, CA
- Applicant must be eligible to work on ITAR projects
- Job Type: Full-time (Paid, Seasonal)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Second Order Effects is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SOE is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.