Snohomish County Superior Court has an opening for a Washington State licensed court reporter. Court Reporters work directly with our 15 Superior Court judges and are employees of Snohomish County.
We are proud to offer an outstanding benefit package to employees and their dependents.
You’ll get PERS retirement contributions, excellent medical, dental and vision insurance, with long-term disability, life insurance, and more.
- 40 hour work week, Monday through Friday, 8-5
- 10 paid holidays
- Paid sick leave and vacation
- 1 bonus floating holiday
There is no online application to complete.
- Interested applicants send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Materials are reviewed for minimum qualifications.
- Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be contacted to discuss the position.
- The most qualified applicants will be interviewed
- Second Interviews may be given at management’s discretion
- Offer to the successful applicant pending background check
To make verbatim records of court and other proceedings and produce transcripts.
STATEMENT OF ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Records court proceedings, hearings and conferences.
- Prepares verbatim transcripts of court and other proceedings; reads back portions of the transcribed record on order of the court.
- Indexes and files paper notes of all court proceedings with the Snohomish County Clerk’s Office.
- May receive and direct incoming court related telephone calls; takes messages, determines needs, answers questions and furnishes information as appropriate.
- Assists in scheduling appointments, meetings and conference rooms.
- Types general correspondence and jury instructions as necessary.
- Performs related duties as required.
Three (3) years experience as a skilled, practical reporter; OR, ability to take and transcribe accurately 175 words per minute of the judges charge or 200 words per minute of testimony each for five (5) consecutive minutes (RCW 2.32.180). Must pass job related tests.
Completion of a recognized court reporter training course is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- court reporting practices and procedures
- courtroom practices and procedures
- foreign words and phrases
- legal, medical, scientific, drug, admiralty, automotive, construction, photography, computer, environmental and firearm terminology
- record court or other proceedings verbatim with speed and accuracy using manual or machine recording techniques
- transcribe stenographic material into typewriter copy with speed and accuracy
- understand and correctly spell difficult terminology
- operate standard office equipment including telephones, typewriters and video terminals
- work under pressure
- understand and execute written and oral instructions