OSPIRG Students, or the Oregon Student Public Interest Research Group, is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that recruits, trains and organizes students on college campuses across Oregon on issues they care about. We run grassroots campaigns on issues like protecting the environment, getting out the youth vote, making college more affordable and more in order to create the cleaner, healthier, and more meaningful future our generation wants to see.
For 50 years we’ve helped students to get organized, mobilized and energized so they can continue to be on the cutting edge of positive change. Recently Oregon students have banned useless single-use plastics, made their campuses Bee-Friendly Certified, fundraised thousands of dollars for charity, and helped hundreds of students vote in the 2020 elections.
We are hiring a campus organizer for our chapter at Southern Oregon University to help students develop and win effective environmental and public interest campaigns such as 100% renewable energy, banning single use plastics, and making textbooks more affordable.
As a Campus Organizer with OSPIRG Students at Southern Oregon University, your responsibilities will include:
- Inspiring and recruiting hundreds of students to take action on our campaigns for 100% renewable energy and banning single use plastics.
- Helping students develop and run their own strategic campaigns — campus organizers will recruit and train students to run campaigns such as calling on Whole Foods to eliminate wasteful packaging, making textbooks more affordable, and to alleviate hunger and homelessness in Ashland.
- Building coalitions — campus organizers work with student volunteers and interns to build a diverse, invested coalition of organizations and people on and off campus.
- Training students to be effective social change leaders, using skills such as generating grassroots support and coordinating lobby days and news conferences.
- Building a strong, sustainable, student-run organization on campus by fundraising, building relationships with key players on campus and building our brand. Working with campus partners to ensure their continued support of the student-funded campus chapter.
- Working alongside students to win real reforms for the public.
- Running a citizen outreach office during the summer, where you’ll recruit and lead a team of canvassers to fundraise for important issues. Relocation for the summer campaign will be required.
Duration: This position is a one year commitment and will begin in August 2021 and continue through August 2022.
Apply: Please apply on our website.
Pay & Benefits: The target annual compensation for this position is between $28,000 – $35,000 depending on location and relevant experience. The Student PIRGs offer a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location: Ashland, Oregon.
The Student PIRGs work closely with The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Each of the groups that partner with the Student PIRGs is an equal opportunity employer.