You want to fight ecological destruction. You also want to be a part of the fast-paced, passion-driven world of startups. But you are looking for people who care about sustainability as more than window-dressing for private equity firms or shiny packaging for influencers.
For this position, you prefer to get your hands dirty rather than stare at a computer screen. You love to tinker, make great food, work efficiently, maintain clear notes, and keep things orderly and clean. You have surprising physical endurance and can lift heavy stuff and work quickly for long work days.
About the position
You will be working with us to craft a new category of cheese made from plants. Some of your duties will include:
- Work with plant and microbial ingredients to produce and develop new types of aged cheeses
- Analyze cheeses and alter production methods based on scientific principles
- Work with the science team to manipulate microbes in the context of cheese
- Coordinate production for sampling
- Work with the founder to set up production with manufacturing partners
- Work with the science and brand teams to pursue our mission
- This position is full time and not remote
We will work with you to set goals and milestones for your professional development. Some of the concrete goals for the first year of this position are:
- Develop one novel cheese variety from concept to bench-scale
- Improve the taste and functional profiles of multiple established cheese types of primary importance
- Hire one high-performance partner for production and process design
- Work with the science team to create new generations of cheeses that are significantly better according to tasting panels
- Work with contract manufacturers to scale production of one cheese variety to industrial scale (>10,000lbs)
- At least a bachelor’s degree in dairy science or food science or a life science
- Experience doing research on or making cheese or other cultured foods
- Comfort seeking new material from books and research papers
- Willing to work very short hours on occasional weekends to take care of cheeses
- Excited to do hands-on, detail oriented, manual and cerebral work
- Significant physical and mental endurance for on-your-feet active work for up to 10 hours at a time, as shown by experience in manual work or endurance sports
- Looking to invest energy into a fast-paced, constantly changing work environment
- Desire to take on daunting production challenges with zeal
Our vision is a world where on every menu, grocery shelf, and table, the most exciting foods are also the most sustainable. Our mission is to excite people about eating sustainably by crafting cultured foods that tap into the diversity of the microbial world. We are starting with a new category of aged, hard cheeses—that happen to be made from plants. Founded by a nerd with fancy degrees from fancy places, we are taking the time to understand the science of cheesemaking and manipulating those processes to work with plants. We are a public benefit corporation, meaning that we are culturally and legally obligated to put our mission over money.
What do you get out of it?
- Work on global sustainability problems via a hands-on, tasty product
- Large growth potential in different areas (management, research, operations, manufacturing, branding, etc)
- Learn about different aspects of building an early-stage startup
- We focus on growth, and we hire you not for this position, but for your next three positions. We will work with you to craft a learning plan to achieve your personal and career goals, at Tezza or elsewhere
If interested, what should you do?
We build relationships thoughtfully, and this approach takes time. Over multiple conversations, we will seek to understand how we can support you, and hopefully you will find out whether we are a good fit for your goals or simply a bunch of nutcases. You can learn about our values, hiring process, and benefits here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and responses to the following prompts (a conversational, unpolished tone is fine):
- What motivates you right now? When you think about your short life, what motivates you for the long term? And most important, why? Where did those motivations come from?
- What are the most important things that you are striving to improve in yourself? What are you doing to work on them? And how would that work either amplify a superpower or cure an achilles heel?
Tezza is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. But we acknowledge that we are flawed humans within a flawed society. We do our best and apologize and learn when that’s not enough.