WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
We are looking for an experienced attorney to advise and support the Legal Department and internal stakeholders on various legal risks and rights, to assume accountability for a number of legal practice areas within the organization, and to support the Legal Department in ensuring the organization’s legal compliance as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in all aspects of its operations.
As the Staff Attorney, you play an integral role in identifying and minimizing risks to the organization to ensure its continued operation as an effective advocate to improve the lives of farm animals around the world.
We want you because you have a mission and values-centered approach to your life and your work. You are ideal for this position because you have significant experience providing advice and counsel on a variety of legal matters, have stellar legal research skills, and are willing to offer creative solutions in nuanced situations. You possess exceptional analytical, organizational, and oral and written communication skills, exhibit careful attention to detail, and are able to deftly manage multiple priorities with contending deadlines. This position reports directly to the General Counsel.
This is a full-time remote position. This position requires domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately (2-3) trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
- Provide expert legal advice and support to internal stakeholders and teams within THL’s Programs Department, including Campaigns, Organizing, Fellowship, and Changemaker Circle volunteer program, to include:
- Review of strategies, tactics, and communications materials related to public awareness and advocacy campaigns;
- Support and review of contracts related to planning fundraising and community building events; and
- Legal compliance and best practices for robust volunteer and intern programs.
- Negotiate, draft, and review various contracts, policies, and internal and external communications.
- Conduct research and write memoranda on various legal issues, including labor and employment, tax-exempt, and international law.
- Assist on an as-needed basis with corporate compliance, labor and employment, human resources, intellectual property, development, and data privacy and security issues.
- Assist on an as-needed basis with proactive litigation.
- Collaborate with and provide support to the Public Policy Director at the direction of the Assistant General Counsel.
- Support innovative programs and new initiatives to advance our mission.
- Serve as a business partner to the organization, particularly with regard to programs, communications, and fundraising events.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel or Assistant General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- License to practice law and member in good standing in at least one US jurisdiction.
- A desire to advise and support The Humane League’s aggressive corporate campaign work.
- Comprehension of defamation, First Amendment, intellectual property, and privacy law.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Solid legal research and analysis skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities, working both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, identify issues, and propose solutions independently.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing organization.
- Dedication to The Humane League’s mission.
Starting salary $57,640 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.