The Morton Arboretum is a world-renowned nonprofit dedicated to protecting and growing trees locally and globally. We are seeking a seasonal grounds crew aide to support the Living Collections crew. Grounds Crew Aides at The Morton Arboretum have many diverse responsibilities that span across different work areas in the Collections & Facilities Department. As a member of the Living Collections Crew you will assist the full-time horticulture staff in the maintenance of the woody plant specimens in the Geographic, Taxonomic, and Special Habitat Collections on the grounds. You’ll be part of an incredible team working together to make the Arboretum exceptional.
Position Summary: Assist the Collections and Facilities staff with the care of Arboretum grounds and facilities.
- Duties will be assigned according to current projects in progress. Work will involve some of the following tasks:
- planting, dividing, and transplanting trees, shrubs, groundcovers, and herbaceous plants
- weeding, mulching, and watering
- cultivating and fertilizing
- arboricultural work, including removal of dead wood, structural pruning, and the removal of dead or declining plants
- hedge trimming
- edging beds, brush cutting
- removing litter, twigs, leaves, and other material from assigned and adjacent areas
- safe and proper use of pesticides and pesticide mixing/storage facility
- invasive species surveillance and control
- monitoring and controlling threatening insects, diseases, and nuisance animals
- Learn, understand, and demonstrate the ability to safely operate and maintain tools and equipment used in daily work.
- May assist in preparing and maintaining garden or collection for special events, exhibitions, and other large-scale grounds projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Ability to operate small equipment and use hand tools required.
Success Factors: Ability to perform physical labor indoors and outdoors, requiring strength and endurance, in all kinds of weather. Ability to be flexible, self-motivated, neat, and safety-conscious in use of tools. Good communication skills. Ability to embrace and operate in line with our employee core values to take ownership, work together, keep learning and make the Arboretum exceptional.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires significant amount of physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 60 or 100 lbs. assisted), bending, , pushing, pulling, standing, walking, kneeling, and traveling by vehicles. Sense of vision and hearing in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Work Environment: Work is primarily performed outdoors in all weather conditions. May have exposure to loud or prolonged noise and/or vibration. Tobacco use is not permitted anywhere on Arboretum grounds.
- Equipment: Hand gardening tools including loppers, pruning shears, rake, saw, shovel; power equipment including backpack blower, chain saw, edger, lawn mower, rototiller, weed whip; Cushman cart, pick-up truck, tractor, bicycle, two-way radio.
Starting Wage: $12.00/hour
The Morton Arboretum is a champion of diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.