The Morton Arboretum is a world-renowned nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and growing trees locally and globally. We are seeking a membership sales assistant to join our team to provide a high level of customer service to members and visitors promoting and selling all levels and types of memberships. The successful candidate will be able to establish relationships, build rapport, and be able to effectively convey the Arboretum’s mission with genuine passion. You’ll be part of a very special front-facing team working together to make the Arboretum exceptional.
Position Summary: Provide a high level of customer service to members and visitors promoting and selling all levels and types of memberships at The Morton Arboretum, including, but not limited to new, upgraded, two year, and gift memberships.
- Sell new and gift memberships, renew existing, and upgrade renewing memberships on-site.
- Greet visitors in a friendly, attentive way, and address their needs promptly. Develop proficiency in Arboretum membership and general information and literature, resources available, and desk procedures.
- Communicate all benefits associated with membership and be able to explain them accurately and with enthusiasm to prospective and renewing members. Communicate special incentives or offers associated with direct mail campaigns, or special on-site or “day-of” offers.
- Process membership applications according to established procedures.
- Process payments and accurately open, close, and balance the cash drawer per established procedure. Prepare, review, and submit sales results and a shift report at the end of each work shift. File end-of-day report, as needed.
- Understand and be proficient as required with hardware and software associated with the Member Services Desk, including basic Salesforce, wireless and hardwired credit card machines, internal and external email, Microsoft Office, Google Applications, and point-of-sale system.
- Contribute ideas for promotions, events, membership levels, premiums, incentives, and campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school diploma required. 1+ years previous retail sales or customer service experience strongly preferred. Effective customer service and communication skills required. Spanish language literacy is a plus. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications is beneficial. Experience using database software, such as Salesforce, and point-of-sale systems preferred.
Success Factors: Ability to interact with the public in a consistently courteous and patient manner and provide excellent customer service. Ability to establish rapport and build relationships. Strong organizational skills and the ability to work both as part of a team and independently. Flexibility and proactive problem solving. Ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment. Detail oriented to ensure that all work reflects well on the Arboretum. A commitment to, and ability to effectively convey, the Arboretum’s mission with genuine passion, and the willingness to continually learn about the programs and mission. Ability to embrace and operate in line with our employee core values to take ownership, work together, keep learning and make the Arboretum exceptional.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 25 lbs.), walking, and may require long periods of standing or sitting.
- Work Environment: Visitor Center, office environment, Arboretum grounds. Work is performed in a combined indoors and outdoors, depending on the season, program, and attendance needs.
- Equipment: General office equipment, two-way radio, point-of-sale system.
- Schedule: Hours and activity levels vary seasonally. Position requires weekend and evening work.
The Morton Arboretum is a champion of diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.