Position Summary: Assist the plant production team in propagation, culture, and production of plants, and with the maintenance and development of the nurseries. Regular schedule is 3 days/week.
- Maintain proper cultural conditions for plants in production, including watering, fertilizing, pruning, and weed control, in the greenhouses, nurseries and outdoor-container areas.
- Assist with plant propagation and the collection and distribution of propagules. Transplant seedlings, plugs, and containerized plants.
- Assist with the maintenance of nurseries by performing the following duties: bed preparation, planting, digging, cultivating, mowing, and fence maintenance.
- Provide turf mowing in nurseries and at Arbordale production facility.
- Assist with plant labeling and record keeping.
- Assist with Members’ Plant Sale.
- Assist with maintenance of plant production facilities and equipment, including plant container washing and the seasonal covering and uncovering of hoop houses.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school diploma required. Interest in growing woody and perennial plants, and in learning cultural techniques used in greenhouse and nursery production required. Previous horticultural work experience is not necessary. Ability to operate machinery and equipment used in nursery and greenhouse management. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report.
Success Factors: Strong attention to detail. Physical strength and stamina to perform tasks associated with nursery and greenhouse production.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires regular amount of physical activity: some lifting and carrying (up to 60 lbs. assisted), bending, climbing (up to 8 ft.), pushing, pulling, standing or sitting for prolonged periods, walking, and kneeling. Sense of vision in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a combination of indoors and outdoors, sometimes in hot greenhouse environments.
- Equipment: Typical plant care and growing equipment, greenhouse and environmental controls, hand and power tools, Arboretum pick-up truck and utility cart, commercial riding mower, and skid steer tractor.
- Schedule: Requires occasional weekends and holidays, collectively or in rotation with other employees to maintain plants in production facilities.
All Arboretum employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of that status in order to maintain their employment.
The Morton Arboretum is a champion of diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.