Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), Americas #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire students for the programs.
Training Dates: June 5th through June 23rd (paid training)
Program Dates: June 26th-August 11th
Location (City and State): Pittsburgh, Pa
Community Crew Leaders work with a co-lead to directly supervise the safety, development, work projects, and education of a team of 10 high school aged youth. Each team will be assigned a City Park or Greenspace to work in. Over the course of the 6-week program the crew will divide their time between service work (50-75%), such as trail building, invasive removal, and habitat restoration; and environmental education and leadership development (25-50%), including structured lessons, games, and group activities. As the on-the-ground representative of SCA, Community Crew Leaders are an integral part of the success of our teams and are expected to proactively communicate, create a culture of growth, and professionally represent themselves and SCA.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as a Mentor, by supporting personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, communicating with agency park partners, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with high school aged youth; background in teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with manual labor or related skills preferred, including trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements, and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Minimum of 21 years of age
- Ability to legally work in the US
- Valid drivers license for 3+ years and driving history that meets SCA standards preferred,
Leader Benefits and Compensation:
- $700/week, paid biweekly for training and program dates
- Trainings provided: SCA leadership training, conflict mediation, Mental Health First Aid, SCA trail building and maintenance
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.