Chemical Engineer, Biomolecular Engineer, Biochemistry, or Biology Summer Intern or Co-Operative Program
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
St. Louis, Mo
How will you make an impact?
As part of the Downstream Process Development team, you will work with the Purification Development team to compile historical process data to generate a database of knowledge that will enable speed-to-market advances for important life-saving, and life changing potential new medications.
By performing a historical review and statistical assessment of historical technology transfer protocols it may be possible to reduce the number of runs vital for process characterization as well as informing on standard criticality rankings for process parameters thereby decreasing effort needed for process specific analysis of parameter criticality and increase our speed to PPQ. This may have an opportunity cost impact of and increasing net profit by $150,000 to $500,000 per year.
Your activities will be support R&D and Process Validation stages of product launch for activities in Saint Louis and Brisbane, Australia and Groningen, The Netherlands.
What will you do?
- Train on Thermo Fisher Scientific practices in process development and general onboarding
- Deep dive into previous tech transferred processes for critical data points.
- Compile paper-based data with other electronic data sources
- Implement some statistical tools to analyze, evaluate, report, and make recommendations
- Recommend a standard package or baseline study for all mixing/hold activities for future products
- Draft a new SOP/template for media hold worst-case ongoing process validations.
- Work with a technical liaison in a mentor/mentee team approach.
How will you get here?
This role will work directly with a pre-selected senior mentor within Thermo Fisher Scientific. This individual will act as liaison, mentor, guide, and coach through all aspects of training, project research, and the final report and template drafting.
Onsite (no remote work) 40+ hours a week is a requirement for this position.
- Undergraduate in chemical, biochemical Eng, Biology and Biomedical Sciences, or molecular biology sciences or similar.
- Undergraduate in a similar department or major
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Entry level or mid-level courses or experience in statistics is a plus.
- No proven experience is needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Passion and go-getter approach to problem solving.
- Proven track record to work with cross-functional teams to deliver against challenging objectives
- Ability to contribute to a team effort and to learn from a liaison and technical advisor.
- Basic/Moderate Process Control mathematics and statistical evaluation.
- Ability to process data in Excel, MiniTab, or JMP (training can be provided) for statistical control calcs.
- Excellent writing skills to present a technical summary report to drive global baseline studies.
- Excellent self-management skills to make/meet project timelines and achievements for long term goals.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 80,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.