MONTHLY SALARY: $4,866 – $6,211
Performs work under supervision in the Thurston County Jail that involves booking, custody and release of inmates in accordance with law enforcement rules and regulations.
Employees perform inmate care and custody duties while maintaining jail security.
- Receives, searches, books, fingerprints, and photographs incoming prisoners. Issues jail uniforms, records and stores personal effects, and houses inmates by appropriate classification.
- Maintains jail security by observation of inmates, pat searches, strip searches, and cell searches. Maintains orderly conduct and discipline.
- Assures that inmates have access to basic needs for hygiene and welfare.
- Prepares and delivers prisoners to court, doctors’ offices, hospitals, and other locations. Transfers prisoners to and from jail and court. Releases prisoners by established procedures or bail, court order, or other authority.
- Logs court disposition of cases. Writes reports and maintains files.
- Screens and processes visitors. Processes personal property brought to inmates and released.
- Assigns and directs work of trustees. Distributes meals to all inmates, assuring that all materials are removed from cells after meals.
- Advises superior when medical attention appears necessary and maintains physical safety of prisoners. Administers prescribed medications.
- Monitors video and audio surveillance equipment and other job-related equipment.
- Receives incoming telephone calls to the department, relaying them as appropriate. Communicates appropriately on the telephone.
- Attends training and shift meetings. Applies job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities on duty.
- Responds to and assists with major or minor disturbances, medical crisis situations, escapes, fire, and other natural disasters.
- Prepares reports, memos, log book entries, and unit rosters. This is accomplished through handwritten, typed, and computer terminal entries.
- Performs related work as required.
- Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to read, write, and speak the English language as required by RCW 41.14.100.
- Minimum age of 21 years at time of appointment.
- Must hold or obtain valid Washington State Driver’s license.
- Must meet Thurston County Civil Service Pre-Employment Screening Standards.
- Acceptable scores on Civil Service skills examinations.
- Must meet the Sheriff’s Office employment standards and be willing to submit to and pass a thorough background investigation to include a polygraph examination and psychological evaluation.
- Must meet the current physical standards adopted by the Sheriff’s Office.