The most important value at UNFI is “Do the Right Thing – Put Safety and Integrity at the Forefront of Everything We Do.” The Food Safety Specialist position is part of the Risk/Safety Team and will aid the organization deliver on this critical value – day in and day out. The role is fast-paced and complex and has responsibility within a specific region for helping maintain a world class food safety culture in which UNFI associates are proactive and interdependent when it comes to food safety. This role supports Distribution centers and operation partners on all aspects of food safety.
Responsibilities include ensuring compliance with food safety, sanitation, and pest control programs within the region. Interacts with Distribution Center leadership teams to ensure policies, procedures, audits, and training programs are understood and followed. This includes comprehensive support of any and all regulatory certifications.
- Coordinates food safety, sanitation, and pest control compliance efforts as directed by the Sr. Food Safety & QA Manger as required
- Ensures regulatory standards are met by third party sanitation and pest elimination providers by conducting occasional joint surveys/visits
- Conducts food safety assessments at internal DC locations and 3rd party locations if needed
- Monitors DCs to ensure compliance with 3rd party certifications
- Review visit findings with DC leadership and provides guidance to leadership to improve food safety culture
- Be and stay current with all State, Federal, and local regulatory agencies to ensure compliance regarding local DC
- Operations as well as adhere to SQF standards
- Uses available metrics and reporting systems to track and measure food safety performance, identifying exceptions to outstanding performance and influencing leadership to resolve specific and cultural opportunities
- Managing SQF, GDP, and food safety programs, including document review of records, associate training, and oversight of corrective actions.
- Directs activities in maintaining and executing effective food safety, food defense, and recall plans, policies, and processes in Distribution Center operations
- Provides food safety training and support to operations and internal/external customers
- Collaborates with operations partners to ensure compliance during facility changes and/or new site developments
- Investigates product quality and compliance issues (i.e. tampering, adulteration, mislabeling, etc.)
- Maintains active working relationships with all appropriate industry and regulatory bodies
- Consistently drive and execute innovation for food safety messaging, development of food safety culture, and nurture the belief that food safety is and should always be everyone’s top priority.
- Performs other relevant job duties as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Food Science, Public Health, Environmental Science or related field preferred
- HACCP, Preventive Controls Qualified Individual, and/or SQF Practitioner certifications desired
- 2-3 years’ experience in related food fields
- Experience with interpreting state and federal regulations, and maintaining working relationships with industry and regulatory officials
- Familiarity with FDA Food Code, Food Safety Modernization Act and Seafood HACCP requirements
- Familiarity with GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) schemes.
- Working knowledge of Federal Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHA) is beneficial
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to speak effectively before groups
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and ensure significant issues are communicated clearly to relevant stakeholders in timely manner
- Strong analytical skills required for data interpretation and analysis
- Computer skills in word-processing and spreadsheet software preferred
- Must be able to interface effectively with a wide variety of personnel
- Possess ability to communicate concepts, systems, procedures, etc., in a training environment
- Experience in training large groups is helpful
- Must possess leadership ability to inspire others to achieve desired results
- Flexible and adaptable to learning and understanding new technologies
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT/ DEMANDS:
- Travel is required
- Stooping, bending, twisting, lifting and reaching may be required
- May be in refrigerated food processing rooms for extended periods, may handle hazardous chemicals and manipulate or install cleaning equipment and dispensers
- Incumbent must be able to move throughout the facility including second story offices, and back rooms
- Some work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of normal activities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. – M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.