Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC is hiring a casual Echocardiography Sonographer! This role will be scheduled varied daylight shifts between 7:00am-3:30pm and 8:00am-4:30pm with on-call responsibilities on varied weekdays/holidays and every other weekend. If you’re an experienced professional looking to pick up extra hours, we want to hear from you!
UPMC offers a competitive benefits package that few employers can match and has a career ladder in place that allows you to grow professionally and provides the ability to progress from both a technical and managerial standpoint. Apply today to find out where your career can take you!
Performs imaging procedures at a technical level not requiring constant supervision. Competently performs a variety of technical procedures that require independent judgment, ingenuity and ability to recognize critical pathologies.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate instructions to patients in a clear and concise manner and explain procedures to help allay the patient’s fears and solicit their cooperation.
- Identifies all patients properly according to policy.
- Reviews patient history and assesses physician orders, applying specific departmental protocols for optimal results in the acquisition of data.
- Documents patient history in electronic record as required.
- Utilizes appropriate ultrasound instrumentation for procedures and demonstrates knowledge of equipment operations, applications and scanning techniques resulting in optimized image data/documentation.
- Demonstrates a strong ability to interact with both patients and co-workers, while displaying a high level of caring, listening, dignity and respect.
- Able to work as team member within the department and all other departments to expedite patient care efficiently.
- Ensures all completed exams are properly coded and identified for electronic processing and storage according to department standards.
- Assures charges are adequately entered for the exams performed.
- Performs Cardiac Ultrasound procedures according to guidelines established by the Medical Director.
- Procedures must be performed in the established time frame and according to established protocol.
- Procedures include Transthoracic Echocardiography, Transesophageal Echocardiography, Stress Echocardiography, and Echo with contrast.
- Conduct himself/herself in accordance with system-wide and departmental values, policies, and procedures.
- Within a reasonable timeframe, demonstrates the ability to function independently, and is able to cover off shifts, on-call responsibilities, and perform services at satellite facilities, where applicable, while continually communicating with lead and management team.
- Assists physicians with invasive procedures as necessary and adheres strictly to the universal protocol standards.
- Obtains appropriate echocardiographic images according to department policy and industry standards, including M-Mode, 2D, Doppler, Color Flow Doppler, Transesophageal echo, echo enhancement, bubble and contrast studies, and Stress echocardiography.
- Completion of formal training in an accredited ultrasound program required.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Registered preferred, or registry eligible with minimum of Physics portion of registry completed.
- Must obtain registry within 12 months of hire date.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) required.
- Act 33, 34, 73 as required by business unit.
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC’s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.