The Veterinary Medicine and Surgery department exists to serve MD Anderson research programs. Our primary mission is to provide the best possible veterinary care, facilities and services in support of the institutional animal care and use program, in keeping with all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) accreditation standards.
Supervision and Work Direction :
- Supervise, train, monitor and evaluate assigned personnel. Make recommendations to the Associate Director, Animal Facilities, for hire, merit increases, and promotions.
- Assists supervisors in the disciplinary action process.
- Participates in compliance functions such as IACUC inspections, USDA inspections and AAALAC site visits.
- Monitors facility users to ensure that they follow departmental policies and procedures. Ensures that supervisors oversee their assigned areas appropriately.
- Serves on a rotation for weekend/holiday supervisor and on-call supervisor.
- Plans work schedules and distributes workload.
- Schedules cage, rack, room cleaning and other personnel duties using electronic task management system.
- Electronic task management system.
- Supervises in the transport of animals, may review and approve animal orders and transfers and may be required to drive departmental vehicles.
- Performs health and facility observations routinely.
- Makes recommendations on housing space assignments.
- Assumes the duties of the Associate Director, Animal Facility, in his/her absence.
- Monitors electronic facility management systems, etc.
- Records data in the appropriate hardcopy or electronic system.
- Ensures that data is entered in a timely manner.
- Maintains timesheets for assigned personnel.
- Runs reports in electronic task management system to ensure that personnel are completing assigned tasks.
- Reviews animal protocols, purchase and maintenance requests.
- Ensures that Quality Assurance procedures, such as RODAC and ATPase are completed and results obtained.
- Enters billing information into departmental database.
Facility & Room Care:
- Ensures that supervisors monitor assigned rooms for daily observation of animal health and room maintenance.
- Reports any general health problems and/or animal deaths, major changes in normal room conditions, or facility malfunctions to the Associate Director, Animal Facility.
- Monitors overall facility conditions and reports problems to Associate Director, Animal Facility.
- Ensures facility and equipment sanitization occurs according to established schedules.
Other Duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in biological science.
Required: Two years of supervisory experience in a animal research facility. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Required: Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science within 180 days of eligibility but no more than 1,612 days. Any employee hired or rehired after September 1, 2012 must possess required certification.
Preferred: Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 140744
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 53,200
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 66,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 79,800
- Science Jobs: Yes