The Immunology department at MD Anderson Cancer Center seeks to determine the fundamental cellular and molecular mechanisms of a wide range of processes by which the body recognizes and eliminates pathogens and use these findings to unleash the patient’s own immune system against previously treatment-resistant cancers. Treating the immune system rather than the cancer itself, the therapeutics developed are applicable to many cancers.
- Characterization of oligonucleotides, antibodies and bioconjugates: Conduct antibody conjugation reactions at small and large scale using commonly employed lysine and cysteine chemistry for the CODEX platform.
- FFPE tissue sectioning or cryosectioning. Ability to section, stain and mount specimens on slides; prepare specimen for proper fixation, paraffin processing, embedding of tissue when needed.
- Performs manual and automated immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence in situ-hybridization, and Western blotting analysis for antibody test and validation.
- Coordinates and conducts experiments and carries out research projects in the research laboratory in accordance with established protocols.
- Making TMA block for antibody optimization for mIF, CODEX and preparing TMA for studies as needed.
- Assist with scanning of stained slides on an Aperio or Polaris Scanner.
- Assists supervisor in devising and monitoring new techniques and instruments and data entry of blocks.
- Prepares laboratory solutions and maintains equipment.
- Maintains accurate, detailed records and experimental data and protocols.
- Prepares graphs, slides, and tables via photography, computer, or manually.
- Able to work within databases, graphing and word processing computer programs such as Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Communicates results to and understand instructions from principal investigator and colleagues.
- Discusses goals of each project with supervisor.
- Confers with supervisor regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the project.
- Participates in lab meetings and presents data where necessary.
- Demonstrates and practices lab safety precautions.
- Receives verbal and/or written instructions from principal investigator on standards and specialized lab safety procedures.
- Attends annual safety courses required by MDA and other agencies.
- Handles, stores, and disposes of radioactive isotopes, chemically hazardous materials, and biohazardous materials in procedure specified to meet MDA safety guidelines.
- Follows manufacturer’s guidelines regarding the handling and maintenance of all lab equipment.
- Will have working knowledge of equipment operation manuals and procedure manuals whenever necessary.
- Responsible for ordering reagents and materials when needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Maintains good working relationship with other technicians.
- Explains to staff members the scientific protocols currently being employed in the laboratory.
Required: Bachelor’s degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master’s degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Preferred: Slide sectioning and staining.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 139068
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,000
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 44,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,000
- Science Jobs: Yes