The Genetics department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes.
- Expertise and Specialization
- Apply molecular biology skills to perform PCR, quantitative PCR, exome capture, cDNA synthesis and NGS library preparation in the facility’s Next Generation Sequencing service.
- Maintain detailed and well-organized records of protocols performed and results obtained.
- Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Operate Illumina bench-top sequencers.
- Perform instrument maintenance as scheduled or required.
- Customer Service (Service Cores)
- Follow Core guidelines regarding order processing.
- Interact with client user groups and alert supervisor to problems/concerns.
- Excellent customer service skills are essential.
- Other Duties
- Cross-train in other ATGC services and serve as a service backup as required.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master’s degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Required: Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience
Preferred: Next Generation Sequencing and qPCR experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 141025
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Day/Evening, Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 39,200
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 49,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 58,800
- Science Jobs: Yes