Your future begins now. Verisk ‘s Summer Internship Program is designed to provide you with real work experience, professional development, and networking opportunities.
We have opportunities for students interested in exploring Actuarial careers around the globe. ISO, a Verisk business, has been a leading source of information about property/casualty insurance risk since 1971. For a broad spectrum of commercial and personal lines of insurance, ISO provides statistical, actuarial, underwriting, and claims information and analytics; compliance and fraud identification tools; policy language; information about specific locations; and technical services. ISO serves insurers, reinsurers, agents and brokers, insurance regulators, risk managers, and other participants in the property/casualty insurance marketplace.
We are hiring in the following U.S. location: Jersey City, New Jersey.
At Verisk, we have a longstanding commitment to inclusion, diversity & belonging in our workplace and marketplace. Click here to read our statement on Racial, Equity and Diversity and learn more about our Employee Network Groups and our commitment to making a change.
- Prepare products for regulators and internal & external customers in a timely and accurate manner. Products may include loss cost reviews, filings, circulars, annual statistical filings, and customized data products to meet customer needs.
- Work on other projects such as class plan reviews, territorial reviews, regulatory reports and fulfilling contractual obligations.
- Write and run computer programs to extract data for review and report compilation.
- Review the quality of data submitted by insurance companies both on transactional and aggregate levels.
- Develop more efficient, automated ways to improve processing including data quality and error detection processes. This can include providing suggestions for improvements in ratemaking and data quality review procedures.
- Help respond to questions from regulators and insurers on filings, circulars and other products.
- Contact ISO’s insurer customers and other organizations regarding the reasonableness of reported data.
- Make actuarial and data management presentations to Insurer Panels, insurers who report data to us and ISO users of data.
- Collaborate with other ISO divisions (actuarial, analytical and technology) on improving data, products and procedures.
- Become a subject matter expert on one or more lines of property-casualty insurance business.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Intern Program is not eligible for work visa sponsorship. If you will require work visa sponsorship (e.g. H1-B visa)” after completing your degree, you do not meet the basic requirements of the summer Intern role.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university, studying Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, Economics, Risk Management, Operational Research or related discipline.
- Interest in the insurance industry
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work under time constraints, multi-task, and adjust plans in the face of changing priorities.
- Continued desire and ability to learn.
- Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- All candidates must have eligibility to work permanently in the U.S.
Preferred Experience (not required):
- Passage of at least one actuarial exam is preferred; not required
- Technical background should include a working knowledge of MS Office applications and understanding of computer programming concepts.
- Knowledge of SQL, SAS, R, ETL tools or Business Rules Engines is a plus
- Background experience in Tableau, Spotfire, COGNOS, or other data visualization software would be advantageous.
We want to get to know YOU. Once you apply, our team will review your application. Successful candidates will be invited to a two-stage interview process including:
- Digital Interview: Our team is keen to get to know you. You’ll be introduced to several members of our team as they share their experiences about life at Verisk. We will ask you a series of questions in order to learn about what drives you and where your interests lie – it is your opportunity to make yourself stand out from the pack. This is a great way for you to meet several of our employees outside of a traditional 1:1 interview.
- Final Live Virtual Interview: This round is to determine if Verisk’s culture is right for you. You’ll have the opportunity to speak with 2-3 members of our actuarial recruitment committee.
- Offer: Our committee will meet and discuss your candidacy. Should you be extended an offer, we will advise you of the business and location where your internship will take place.