VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the “Top Ten Best Places to Live” by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub’s “Best Illinois Cities for Jobs” and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Winter Laborer (Engineering & Public Works) seasonal (CDL with Air Brake Endorsement required) with an online application deadline of 10/31/2021.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
STARTING PAY RATE: $25.00 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary for this position is $27.00.
WORK SCHEDULE: Position is typically Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. from November 1st to April 30th based on a 40-hour workweek. Work schedule may change depending on snow and ice operational needs.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs unskilled labor and performs snow and ice removal operations on village streets and village-owned parking lots on a temporary as-needed basis. Work consists of assisting staff in the maintenance and repair of Village infrastructure, buildings, grounds and facilities. This position may also perform semi-skilled mechanical labor as well as custodial work.
Position is typically from November 1st to April 30th based on a 40-hour workweek. Work schedule may change depending on snow and ice operational needs.
1. Performs a variety of routine unskilled manual tasks, uses simple tools and carries and wheels heavy material as required.
2. Performs minor maintenance and custodial work in the care of Village-owned buildings, grounds, and facilities.
3. Performs shop and yard clean-up and organization. Is responsible for the arrangement, location and proper operation of job related tools and equipment in the shop/yard environment.
4. Drives a 58,000 pound GVWR truck hauling gravel, fill, or other material or plowing snow, services trucks and other equipment.
5. Performs Snow and Ice control duties and assists in emergencies such as floods and wind or rainstorms.
6. Salts and shovels sidewalks
7. Assists in processing and filling material requests and distributions of both fleet and public works related material.
8. Thorough knowledge of the Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices.
9. Keeps accurate records of accomplishments.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. Working knowledge of hand tools and power tools.
3. A minimum of two years of experience operating dump trucks with plow and salt spreader.
4. Possession of a valid Class A or B (CDL) Illinois driver’s license with air brake endorsement.
5. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within six months of employment.
Ability to establish good working relationships. Ability to carry out assignments with minimal supervision. Ability to read street maps and route maps in the English language. Ability to complete related paperwork in the English language. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions in the English language. Ability to communicate over radio or phone in the English language. Proficient use of four-wheel and/or six-wheel dump trucks with plow and salt spreader.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
2. Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
3. Subject to fumes or disagreeable odors.
4. Subject to extended periods of isolation.
5. Subject to inclement weather conditions.
6. Subject to working in wet, dirty, dusty, hot, humid, and/or cold conditions in high vehicle traffic areas.
7. Physical strength and agility sufficient to do strenuous laboring tasks under varying weather conditions. Ability to lift and move 75 pounds or more on a frequent basis.
8. Frequent and/or prolonged bending, stooping, standing, pulling, pushing, or reaching.
9. Occasionally works at heights/depths of 10 to 60 feet above or below ground.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER